1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kilborn's back on TV... sorta

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, May 20, 2010.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

http://www.tvsquad.com/2010/05/20/kilborn-file-premiere-date-june-28-six-week-run/

So, it's a six-week run that only airs in during the daytime in seven markets. Seven big markets, but only seven markets nonetheless.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm curious to see this one. He seems like a rough fit in daytime -- and won't fit in the local Fox lineup at all. It's like 4 hours of court shows.

3. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I love Kilby. His Late Late Show was a must watch ... I just hope this one does well enough in those markets to spread into more.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm getting tired of the fake vanity thing, whether it's Dan Patrick, Kilborn, John Henson...it's kind of played out.

5. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I agree from that standpoint. I just found Kilborn just flat funny. His dry delivery got me every time.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I liked The Daily Show when he hosted it, not so much for anything he did, but I enjoyed the regular features like God Stuff, Ad Nauseum and Public Excess.
    Plus the Bud Light MVP of the Week.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My favorite SportsCenter Anchor of all-time and it's not close.

My favorite SportsCenter clip ever was when, during the Bulls 72-10 season they inexplicably lost to the Nuggets because Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf scored some ungodly number of 3s.

Kilborn: Rauf, Rauf, Rauf is on Fire! We don't need no water...

I just about died laughing.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Kilborn on SC = brilliant
    Kilborn on 'Daily Show' = much better than Stewart, not even close
    Kilborn lat-night talk show = mostly miss

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, he left late night TV to go conquer Hollywood, even getting a pretty supporting significant role in "Old School." Haven't seen him in anything since ...

10. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Wow, really? If you wrote that in 1999, I might've agreed with you. My college roommate and I were down on Stewart when he first replaced Kilborn. Obviously, he's grown on me since then.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I love Kilborn and I love Jon Stewart, but I think Kilborn was edgier when he was on the show.

I was stunned when he left his CBS show. He was making $5 million a year to follow Letterman. He's said publicly that it wasn't a money issue. I never understood it.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Buck, I'll take your word for it that Kilborn might have been better than Stewart, because my cable company didn't carry Comedy Central in those days. But to say it's "not even close," when Stewart has been one of the most dynamic television success stories of the last 20 years is a bit much ...

Draft saved Draft deleted