1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kids These Days Just Don't Appreciate or Get Baseball

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by daytonadan1983, Apr 24, 2011.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

because they are not legit

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

With the disparity in college baseball, I take a lot of accomplishments with a grain of salt.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

DD,

You announced a no-hitter in progress?

4. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Yes sir ... Took over in the bottom of the fourth and finished the game -- a 7 inning affair because it was 2nd of a DH.

Kid finished with a 2-hit shutout -- the e4 was changed back to a hit for some reason.

It was actually a rush knowing you're calling a no-hitter.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, I butted heads with more than a few coaches and ADs over scoring decisions when I was an SID years ago. I understand up front that, moreso in baseball than most other sports, there are going to be subjective decisions to be made on hits/errors and such.

And I understand that people can have honest differences of opinion on such. But if I am charged as the official scorer in a game, DO NOT try to twist my arm for the purposes of influencing statistics and such. I try to make as good of decisions as I can at the moment. If that's not good enough, get someone else. But don't try to manipulate things.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I thought it was a no-no to say that out loud.

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Some dance around it, but they'll usually say it at some point. For example:

"Call your sons! Call your daughters! Call your friends! Call your neighbors! Mark Buehrle has a perfect game going into the ninth!"

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sure, keep it in the subtext like that, but it sounds like DaytonaDan just blurted it out.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I think he did it to point out to the kid he took over the mike from that the story wasn't the offensive production he was gushing over, but the fact that his pitcher had a no-no going.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's cool. I'm just messing with Dan.

11. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

It was more towards the kid calling the game. I can understand the kid baseball contact's attitude with the way we score runs and also with aluminum bats, a no-hitter is really rare.

The kid calling the game was in my office yesterday and I was trying to explain about the love of the game and that baseball is the grandest of dammes who deserves your respect and he looked and said "daytona dan, what the f--- are you smoking?"

Draft saved Draft deleted