1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kids These Days Just Don't Appreciate or Get Baseball

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by daytonadan1983, Apr 24, 2011.

1. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Just wanted to share an amusing tale from my ongoing adventures as an in-house college writer:

Yesterday was an off day, but since I have no life, I decided to partake in the college baseball game. We won the first game 15-1 and when I got there, I looked at the scoreboard and it said we were up 7-0 after four along with another important detail that comes into play later.

So after saying hello to other coaches in the stands and discussing a draft feature idea with the AD, I mosey to the press box to talk to the kid who is the baseball contact and the other kid who does play-b-play on the stream.

The baseball contact is giddy over the continued offensive output and shrugs off the other important detail that comes into play later. The kid doing the PBP is half-asleep because he's tired after working the 1st game and also because he didn't sleep after a great night at the club. So he goes, 'daytonadan, call the rest of the game.'

I ask him to look at the scoreboard and remind of the important detail that comes into play later and he goes 'so what? I'm tired' And I go -- `okay, give me the frakking mike.'

I pause, take a deep breath, and go -- 'Back at the ballpark in the fifth, where if Our U can continue its streak of 10-run games, it would expediate a no-hitter by Joe Mama for the first U no-no since Clinton's first term....

Game progresses. The U goes up 8-0 after 5 and 9-0 after six, but cant get the run rule...so Joe Mama needs three outs in the seventh. I'm thinking, I get to call a kid's no-hitter. And I say online, this is like Hodges saying -- yeah, the Giants might win the pennant -- call the 8th and 9th for me will you.

In the seventh, kid gets the first out... then comes a hard hit to the middle ... 2b gets a glove on it its but cant get off the throw -- e-4 everyone shouts but the kid rules it a 1b and the coach, the ad and the u president then blow out his phone saying change the call... then baseball karma intervenes and the next guy gets a clean single. Oh well.

Of course, the kid buries the no-no or near no-no until the 8th paragraph in his web article, focusing on the offensive display of the day. I drive home and smile knowing this could have been a great baseball write and it was a fun hour at the ballpark.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What position did you play?

3. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

play-by-play

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

With all your "We" references I could have swore you played

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm pretty sure DD works FOR the university, in which case "we" is appropriate. I used "we" when I worked at VCU.

6. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Agreed. If the university signs your checks, we is OK by me.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

8. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

I think it would be "could have sworn," dick-waver.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Dick-waver? Someone wants a short stay here. Calm down or stop posting.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

getting back to OP's point ... there are still, one hopes, baseball junkies out there, but even with a minimal knowledge of the game, and, apparently, the worst hangover, how do you not recognize the situation?

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

So did the guy finish with a one-hitter? A two-hitter? A shutout?

Honestly, no-hitters or shutouts that get shortened (rain, 10-run rule, whatever) are less legit in my book.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Si

Draft saved Draft deleted