1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kids, their disgusting table manners and neglectful parents

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Let me tranlate that for sports writers:

(l-r) Spork, fast food bag, fast food napkins, Moutain Dew in a plastic cup from a football game.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Do the cheetos go on the big plate or in the salad bowl?

3. jps

jps Active Member

I'm the same ... and glad to see there are others. all I ever hear is how weird that is ... also, I hate (some) food items touching other food items. not all - but some things just shouldn't mix up. vegetables, especially, can be fatal to, say, your dinner roll, taters, etc. well, not so much the veggies, I suppose, as the veggie juice. ugh.

4. jps

jps Active Member

oh, and little jps ... we'll be eating, at the store, whatever ... and if there's a kid freaking out or acting up, she'll not-so-quietly ask, 'what's wrong with the boy/girl? in the store, often, it's asked as we pass said trouble maker, and I smile every time.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I think it's fine if all these parents want for their children is that they interact only with the folks at the adjoining troughs in all areas of their lives -- romance, business, church suppers -- for the rest of their lives. But if the child shows an aptitude for maybe someday having a job that requires dining with clients, attendance at banquets ... well, the kid is going to not look very good. The thing about table manners is that having them offends no one -- the slobs won't notice and people who are anal retentive about such things will focus their scorn on some other pig. Like any social convention, they exist so one can function seamlessly in any social or business setting. We can argue all week about whether defined etiquette is stupid, but not teaching such things to children may limit their options in life.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

No, like this:

[​IMG]

:D

7. jps

jps Active Member

nah - just dump that sissy mint crap, and it's right on.

8. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Why is it called a spork? What's wrong with foon? I want my foon!

9. jps

jps Active Member

Here ya go.

[​IMG]

10. Flash

Flash Guest

I was out for lunch with two higher-ups today. Both ate with their elbows on the table. I was appalled.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, as long as they didn't pick or blow their noses, you're OK.

12. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I now know that JR and I can play a perfect round of golf and enjoy a fine meal, because we were raised the same way.
    At the track? I stuff my maw quick and dirty sometimes. Out for any meal that costs me $15 or more? I will eat with some modicum of decorum. Except Chinese buffets. I just wreck those.
    Seriously folks, clean up your sloppy acts if you want to get anywhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted