1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kids, their disgusting table manners and neglectful parents

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Aug 11, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

How do you hold your utensils?

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

And everyone in the newsroom is wondering what in the hell has me cracking up.

Hahaha

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. KG

KG Active Member

Why does the fork have a scoop shape if this is how you are supposed to use it?
    http://www.daylife.com/photo/03UCctSgDKfkV

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Is it a Southern thing or just a comfort deal -- or both? When you posted that, I thought it might be a left-handed thing, but I'm pretty sure I do it the "normal" way -- fork, spoon, spork between the thumb and index finger, just like a pen.

I had a friend in college who used to -- probably still does -- palm the utensil, then turn his wrist to force the food into his mouth and actually scrape the metal on his teeth as he was ripping the food off his fork or spoon. It was one of the worst sounds in the world.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Since I'm not crazy about posting people's work without giving credit, here's the link to the blog.

http://blogs.chron.com/memo/archives/2008/08/your_children_a.html

And not only is Kyrie not old, but she's my favorite part of Wait, Wait.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I totally agree. It's kind of funny. That same kid like my ex before I dated her, and he told me she liked him, too. So I asked her, and she said, "Ugh. I could never date him. Did you see how he eats?" It's the scraping that gets to me -- not the methods.

When I was taught how to write, being left-handed, I was told to hold my paper to an angle (maybe 45 degrees?). That lasted about a day until it began to hurt my hand and become uncomfortable. And I still look at the keys when I type about 25-30 percent of the time, and I'll never have more than two fingers on the keyboard at once. It's all about comfort for me.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Why worry about holding a fork when you can eat with your hands?

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Shut up, slob.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Don't tell him to shut up, bitch.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Most adults don't believe in the value of manners or etiquette anymore.
    Yet many of the same people decry incivility or rude behavior.
    They can't grasp the connection.
    It's sad.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I never said it was rational and I don't hold it against people. I can't explain why it weirds me out. People are weirded out by different things and that's mine.

Telephone manners are a big thing with me, too. My kids have them (or did when they lived here) and I'd judge their friends sometimes by the way they handled themselves on the phone. That's probably a little more rational but not much.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Who eats their meat with their knife and fork (fork in the left hand), puts their knife down and switchs the fork to the right hand?

Where do you put your hands if you're not eating? On your lap or on the table?

How do you eat fruit?

If you're eating rice with chopsticks do you put the bowl 2" from your face and shovel?

Draft saved Draft deleted