1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kids say the darndest things

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ashy Larry, Jul 1, 2009.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

When our now college-graduate daughter was probably 6 or so, she was at the doctor getting an eye exam.

The nurse asked her to read the second line of letters projected on the wall.

There was a long silence, then the kid finally turned to us and said, "I can't. That word's too long."

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Absolutely classic. How did you react? I think I'd be too busy laughing my ass off to correct him.

3. Jay Stone

Jay Stone New Member

When my daughter was 5 or 6, we were watching Close Encounters of the Third Kind. When it got to the part where you see the mother ship, she asked what it was. I said, "Well, that's the Mother Ship." Without skipping a beat, she says, "Is there a daddy ship?"

A friend of mine has a 5-year-old son who one day was asking where wind came from. His mom tried to explain, and the little boy, who is a Star Wars fan, finally says, "So, it's like The Force?"

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Last Saturday, the younger princess had a coach-pitch baseball game. After warmups, the 3-year-old prince trield to yell at her for her to get her water. But with the princess so far away, she couldn't hear him.

When the prince realized his sister wasn't coming to get her water bottle, he put his hands on his hips and said, "God dammit!"

I think he's been around his old man for too many USA soccer games and Kansas City Royals/Chiefs games.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Little OOP, who turns six later this month, loves animals. Especially dogs. We have explained to her that we cannot have a dog because I am very allergic (which kills me because I also love dogs).

A few weeks ago she mentioned wishing she could have a dog. Trying to be positive, I tell her that she can get one when she is grown up and has her own place.

Her response: "No daddy. I can't have a doggie then because then you wouldn't be able to come visit me."

:)

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Well, he is.

7. MrBSquared

MrBSquared Member

Years ago -- considering that he is now married and going on 27 -- when my youngest was about 4, we got on a kick of pushing fruits and veggies during dinner. Not a popular trend, to say the least. the WeeSquared had sutifully eaten his chicken and green beans, but was faced with a small bowl of peaches.

He said," Daddy, I can't eat these."

Why not, I asked, they are good for you?

"Because," he said, "these damn peaches make me drowsy."

He was 4 ...

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

From my friend's Facebook page (since I'm never having any demon spawn of my own):

"[4-year-old daughter] just patted my belly and said, "You're a pufferbelly, Momma.""

She had a baby a few months ago. :D

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

my friend and i broke up, laughing. then i quickly cautioned little man NEVER to say that word in front of mommy.

another post reminded me of when middle boy shockey was about 4. he came into the bathroom after i had showered and was shaving, towel around my waiat. eyeing my growing midsection, he looked up, pointed and said, "boy, dad, you're getting a widdle fat." ::) ::) ::)

thanks, son.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

When my seven-year-old was about three, we were driving somewhere and she was asking question after question. A hyper-talker, she was. After what had to be the fortieth question, of Mommy, mommy, why's the sky blue? Mommy, mommy,...well, you get the picture. My wife answered during the pause after Mommy, mommy... with "I changed my name." My daughter stopped for a moment, and then asked "Is it Fred?" I about ran off the road I was laughing so hard. Now, whenever I can't get my wife's attention, I'll just shout, "hey Fred!"

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

My little cousin, who is 5, cannot grasp the concept that I live alone and not with my mother. Her parents and I have explained it in lots of different ways, but I guess that since I'm the only person who lives alone that she knows, it doesn't make sense to her. Anyway, when we were in the midst of the umpteenth conversation about it a few weeks ago, she whispered something to her mother, who immediately burst out in laughter. My little cousin had said "I don't understand. Doesn't she have a wife?" (I'm a woman, for those that don't know.)

Similarly, when I was visiting my college roommate a few years ago, her son, who was also about 5, looked at my suitcase and asked if my mommy and daddy had helped me pack it. He also wanted to know if I had gotten permission to stay for dinner.

12. Mitch E.

Mitch E. Member

We just had a recurring one today at lunch. We vacationed at the beach a few weeks ago and I was telling my 4-year-old about how I went to the beach when I was her age. She asked, "This beach." I said no, "A beach, but not this beach." Later that day she asked me to tell her about "A beach." I said, "This beach?" "No, daddy, A Beach." Like the name of the beach was "A."

This afternoon she asked me again about "A Beach." I didn't remember, so I was a bit confused, and it was the first time my wife heard it, so when the little one said, "Noooooo, A Beach," we burst out laughing and she stormed out of the room crying. I had to explain we were laughing WITH her (although we really were laughing AT her).

Draft saved Draft deleted