1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kids reporting scores

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by greenlantern, Apr 29, 2008.

1. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Is there anything more frustrating than the coach having his 11-year-old daughter calling in a score that she doesn't know how to report.
    Her: "XXXX had 3 hits."
    Me: "In how many at-bats?"
    Her: "2."

Also, the visiting team scored 24 runs off 18 hits in five innings with no doubles or triples. Also, only two players had multiple hits. The other team had four errors, but come on. Get your shit together and call in the score yourself, asshole.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yes.

When the coach has his 11-year-old call in but is holding him/her on his lap, so you can hear him telling him/her everything to say but refusing to actually get on the phone to make it go four times faster.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Sorry, honey, I don't have time to figure this all out. Ask your daddy to call us back."

CLICK

If it makes the kid feel stupid, too bad. The kid IS stupid. And we DON'T have time to figure it all out on our end.

4. dragonzo

dragonzo Guest

Just got a high school tennis call-in with one of the dipshit players trying to tell me results while the coach is in the background telling her what to say. Hey coach, why don't you save us all some headache and report the effin' results yourself?

5. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I stopped sitting on my parents' laps when I was about 6. ;)

6. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Of course, the coach yelling in the background routine isn't just with kids. I've had grown men call in the score and still have to ask the coach what the stats are. I'm thinking, "Dude, your shit is all apart. Get it together."

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

8. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Touche, ma'am. Touche, indeed.

9. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

The coaches I did get to call usually did a good job. Only time they had a player do it was when it was absolutely necessary, and even then they were accurate and had their stuff together.

10. awriter

awriter Active Member

Does your paper pay team managers for calling in the results? If so, maybe that's why?

11. I can't believe coaches do that shit. That's fucking hilarious - only because I don't have to deal with it.

12. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

We have a manager in these parts who never fails to try to sneak in her boyfriend in our "Notables" section even though the kid routinely goes 1-for-5. After three years of this, I had hoped the two would have graduated this year. Nope.

Draft saved Draft deleted