1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kids LOCK UP your PARENTS ... (happy NOW A_QB?)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, Mar 9, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Barring a last-minute change of heart or disaster, forever_town will be umpiring Cal Ripken league games this year.

Don't argue balls and strikes with me or YER OUTTA HERE!

Hell, if OnTheRiver can coach the kids, I can umpire their games ...

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Re: Parents LOCK UP your kids ...

How much are you making a game? When I was a kid, it was $8 for the field and $10 for behind the plate.

3. forever_town

Depending on the level of competition and how many umpires there are at a game, I could make anywhere from $54 to $72 per game.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    OnTheRiver, right, and forever_town politely discuss f_t's call during a recent baseball game for 8-year-olds.

:D

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Holy crow. Where do I sign up, sir?

6. forever_town

Well played, 2muchcoffeeman. Well played. ;)

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That's more than some stringers make. Spend a couple of hours at a game, earn a few bucks, and have people criticize you for how you do your job.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

What's the age range of kids playing in the Cal Ripken league?

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

Out here in the sticks; bases makes 40, plate makes 50 per.

Needless to say, my summers are stacked with games. In fact, we start 2 weeks from tomorrow here.

Basketball is a different animal, though.

By count, I have reffed 148 men's league basketball games (3 different leagues) since January 1. (Depending on league, anywhere from 14-35 per game.

Not bad beer money.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I spent some times as an assistant in a Cal league a few years ago. It was an absolutely blast and the one guy who tended to ump all our games was cool as hell. The only thing is, there was this one kid who was not a good player. I worked with him all year on becoming a hitter because he was slow and uncoordinated enough that he couldn't swing the bat for shit. Well, in one game he finally hits this dribbler in the hole between first and second. He's hustling his tubby ass up the line and his foot just barely beats the first baseman's for an infield hit, his first hit of the season. And the ump called him out anyway. Afterwards, the ump being the good guy he was, asked me if he got it right since he saw my reaction and knew that I always told him when he made a good call even if it went against us. Didn't have the heart to tell him it would have been the kid's first hit of the season.

Of course, this kid eventually made a catch to end the game that sent them to the championship game. So he had his moment of glory.

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

[​IMG]

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Ha, it was exactly the opposite of that. Ya just feel for the kid, all of 11-years-old.

Draft saved Draft deleted