1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kids kicked off hockey team tell their side of the story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, May 4, 2008.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.eagletribune.com/punews/local_story_125012447.html?keyword=topstory

Maybe this should have gone on the journalism topics board. If it's more appropriate there, feel free to move it.
    I have a little familiarity with this school and this town. I used to work for a now-defunct weekly in that town (the only job I where I was ever fired) and I know the guy who was the head coach of this team two coaches ago (a hell of a guy and one of the main people in the book "Ice Time." He's now back on the staff as an assistant coach).
    It was interesting that this was in the news section, not sports.
    Anybody here think the kids and the parents are right?
    To me, if a kid gives the crowd the finger at a game, he should be kicked off the team.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Sounds like the coach made the right decision.

This graph rocks:

The Augusts are threatening legal action, possibly claiming discrimination.

Somebody tell me where the discrimination lies?

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Hey, shitheads have rights, too!

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Uh huh ... especially privileged middle-class kids!

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Pubescent Sean Averys and Steve Downies.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

From the sounds of things, the team is better off without them.

Props to the coach.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The moms in the stands swear, so that makes everything right?

How fucked up have we become to let THAT be our benchmark for conduct?

Spoiled little shit's mom wants the COACH to admit his mistake?
    Hey, Mrs. Entitled! How about teaching your little tickturd that his mistake cost him the chance to play and how athletics are not a right, but a privilege... assclown bitch

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Slappy's in an angry mood today ...

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

This reminds me of when some knucklehead high school athletes were arrested for public boozing or some crap at my first stop. They marched into the office and demanded to meet with the editor because they were pissed we--gasp!--listed their names in the police blogger. The editor humored them, told them how the police blotter works and said if they grew up and stopped acting like shitheads, they woudln't have to worry about being in the police blotter.

It was great watching them shuffle out of there, tails between their legs. Dumbasses.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

If the story answered this and I missed it, please tell me. Did the coach enumerate a code of conduct before the season? If so, how specific was it?
    To me, getting tossed for one gesture seems a bit excessive. But if such things were discussed in advance, then there's no excuse.
    One thing the story leaves unanswered is the grounds upon which the allegedly aggrieved parents would fine a "discrimination" suit. Playing high school sports is not a civil right.

11. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Did they take steroids or sleep with country singers?

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Egan denies targeting the group and says he told the players numerous times about his expectations for players.

"We repeated ourselves numerous times," Egan said. "Every day, we discussed all sorts of what we wanted as far as actions from the players. High school kids should get the concept after repeating it a few times."

Draft saved Draft deleted