1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kids foods that you still love

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BB Bobcat, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I talked to a sensory expert once. Oddly, I taste spicy foods as being bitter, which she had never even heard of before.

I'm not a picky eater, but the very few foods I don't like - onions and cheese, mainly - sort of make me a picky eater.

2. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Kraft Mac and Cheese. Man I hope I never outgrow that stuff.
    Chocolate milk made with Quik. Though I probably haven't had a glass in over a year.
    Corn dogs.

Odd since they own Pace and Pepperidge Farm too. Wonder why they didn't change those. And they have a factory near Paris, Texas that just makes Pace Picante Sauce, for the commercial sake ("This stuff's made in New York City").

3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Kids are only picky because parents allow them to be.

4. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I think you're right for the most part. My son is actually so picky and undersized that he's currently being tested to make sure there are no physical issues. So far nothing.

I feel pretty confident that he's just being a little brat.

It's tough because you don't want to make a big scene out of these food standoffs, but you can't give in either.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Was going to start a thread just like this and low and behold it was already started -- Don't know what I would do without SportsJournalists.com

Anyways due to a big jump in living expenses due to a forced move to a new apartment, followed by a significant cut in pay -- well at least in my world -- I have been brown bagging it for close to a month and rediscovering foods from my past that I either got sick of or thought I had outgrown. The two biggest ones are Kraft Dinner Spirals (for some odd reason they always tasted better to me) and peanut butter and jam sandwiches.

This past week when I was making my lunch I realized I had run out of jam. My solution was to dig back further into my past and go peanut butter and banana. Out freaking standing. Haven't had one in probably 20 years. It may become part of my regular rotation now.

I am still reluctant to buy canned ravioli, the thought of it still makes my stomach churn. Ate far too much of that back in the day.

Was never big into the cereals, my mom would never buy the good sugary stuff when I was growing up, it was all Cheerios and Corn Flakes.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

PBJ; wife even cuts off the crust for the youngest; I love snagging that.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Hot dogs, mac and cheese, and grilled cheese are not kids food.
    I also eat a PBJ sandwich (must be Skippy SuperChunk and Welch's grape) almost every night when I get home from work.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Inquiring minds want to know, did all of the above taste better before the Pure Food and Drug Act was passed? I can see it now, back in 1906, when Spnited was more spry ...

"What a jag off Upton Sinclair was ... he fucked up the flavor of everything! Anyone who can't take a little rat hair with their red hots is a yellow-livered pussy! Vote Taft!"

Incurring wrath of Spnited by beating an already decomposed horse into atoms! :D

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

I have no idea what you're babbling about.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

But his mac and cheese does pre-date Kraft.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Busch beer and Seagram's whiskey

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

You're probably right in how you're handling your son's picky eating. Sure, get him tested to make sure there's nothing physically or congenitally going on.

But, probably, there isn't, and, if not, I wouldn't make too big a deal of his ways.

My parents raised six kids, and I've taken to heart my dad's thoughts that it took him and my mom through the first four of us (the last were twins) to learn that it really wasn't necessary to make such a huge deal out of what, and when, and how much, the kids ate, and to realize that forcing them to eat, out of some misguided fear that your kid will die, or suddenly turn unhealthy, if he doesn't ever eat his string beans, was wrong and probably the advent of many kids' eating/weight issues.

This is all assuming your kids are basically healthy, feeling good, and do not have something physical or congenital going on, of course. But, basically, my parents' philosophy became that, "Kids will eat when they're hungry. And if they're not hungry for one meal, they will be for the next, or the next one after that..."

And, forcing them to eat when they don't need or want to is usually doing nothing but adding calories that they don't need, and exerting parental control in a situation where it may not really be necessary.

My parents, unfortunately, came to this realization a little too late for me and to have prevented my many Saturday mornings spent sitting and sulking and pushing food around at the kitchen table because my dad had decreed that I couldn't get up until I'd finished all my dripping, sopping, wet fried eggs that always made me gag...

Yeah...To this day, I cannot stand fried eggs. I, quite literally, have not ever eaten one since I was about 10 years old. I doubt I ever will again, either.

That is one of the overriding food memories of my childhood, and it's not a pleasant one.

And, as someone who has recently lost close to 150 pounds, I will never, ever force otherwise normal, healthy kids to eat, and I hate seeing parents who do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted