1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kidd returning to Dallas, per the WWL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by silvershadow1981, Feb 13, 2008.

1. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

George getting a no-trade has something to do with the type of 1 year contract he signed. It's automatic in 1 year contracts for certain types of players, IIRC. I think Chris Mihm has or has had a similar clause in the past.

2. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

As a Mavericks fan, I want to hug Devean George. Kidd won't be the difference-maker this season: Nowitzki sacking up and not being such a puss will.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

This is great. George tells the Mavs to go fuck themselves off the court by exercising his no-trade clause and then goes 0 for 11 from the floor tonight.

That's rich. He might get Private Pyled in the lockerroom.

4. How is him saying he wants to stay in Dallas telling the Mavs to go fuck themselves?

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I'm not saying he did anything wrong. I don't mind when players exercise their contractual right to stay in their current city.

I'm just saying it's funny that he did it and then went 0 for 11 from the floor.

6. You're right about that.

I'm surprised Cuban didn't run on the court and strangle him.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Cuban's gone awol since telling the NY Daily News the Kidd deal made no sense over the weekend.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I think the Mavs still own Keith Van Horn's rights, so they could throw him in as cap relief for the Nets and the Nets can match his salary with someone else.

This deal ain't dead ... but it's a sign Cuban wants a ring this year and screw the fallout.

9. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

If I'm the Mavs, Devean George never sees the court again. You're a professional athlete and you're getting paid millions of dollars. I've never had much of a problem with the salaries athletes are making because of their limited shelf life, the uncertain futures, and the injury risks they all have. But, with that, George is getting paid millions, so, dude should've sucked it up and gone to New Jersey. The Mavericks were kind enough (stupid enough?) to give him a contract more valuable than what he's worth. The least he could do is leave when they asked him to.

He's still gonna get paid and he'll be going to a pretty decent team now (Devin Harris, Vince Carter, Richard Jefferson, Jerry Stackhouse and Sean Williams is a decent core of talent, especially in the Eastern Conference). He should've sucked it up. Instead he just reminded everyone how lousy he is, by going 0-for-11 from the field. Loser.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Didn't see this anywhere:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3247183

Stackhouse's big mouth will scuttle this. maybe my memory is faulty, but didn't somethin similar kill the Juwan Howard-to-Miami deal in the great free agent bonanza of 1996? Mourning told the media that he had already agreed to a huge deal, but couldn't sign it yet because they had to get Howard. The league ruled that an agreement is like a contract (or something) and voided the Howard deal.

Whoops, Stackhouse.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Then they shouldn't have given him a no-trade contract.

I'd say that makes it Cuban's fault the trade didn't go through. Cuban gave George the ammunition to say no thanks to the deal. Mark has no one to blame but himself.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Cuban has fault, but it's not the contract. Early bird clauses are standard on the type of contract George got. Instead, Cuban should've gotten George's OK to waive before the deal ever got sent to the NBA office in the first place. And Stackhouse should've been told to keep his yap shut. Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy.

Draft saved Draft deleted