1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kidd returning to Dallas, per the WWL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by silvershadow1981, Feb 13, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

OK, I'll bite on this Hollinger "analysis"

What the fuck is PER? What does he mean by "true shooting percentage?" Why use 40-minute average poinst when the game is 48 minutes?

I'll sit back and wait for the sabermetric bullshit to fly, thanks.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

PER stands for Player Efficiency Rating. It basically takes into account everything the player does while he's on the floor. The average player in the league has a score of 100, and depending on a players positive or negative effect on play, his rating goes above or below the central point.

True Shooting Percentage is a measure of how well a player shoots in all situations. Here's how it gets calculated:

Step 1:
    Decide how many games of statistics you are going to use in finding a player's true shooting percentage. While it's possible to calculate a player's true shooting percentage in a single contest, the resulting statistic means more if the sample size is larger. Consider using a series of games, a season of games or perhaps even a career of games as the sample size. The larger sample size, the more accurate the true shooting percentage number is in terms of that player's ability to shoot.

Step 2:
    Find the total amount of points the player scored, the number of field goal attempts and the number of free throw attempts. You need all three of these numbers to truly calculate true shooting percentage in basketball. You can find these numbers on any regulation box score or anywhere that season or career stats are shown.

Step 3:
    Multiply free throws attempted by .44. Add to that number the total number of field goals attempted.

Step 4:
    Multiply the number of points scored by 50. Then divide the resulting number by the number you got on the preceding step.

Step 5:
    Round the number off to the nearest tenth of a percent. This result is the true shooting percentage of the player. For reference purposes, any number over 50 percent is considered very good, while any number over 60 percent is considered exceptional.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Just as I thought, GB... sabermetric bullshit.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yes, everything new is bullshit.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Now be fair JC. It's not like there are franchises using this information to their advantage or anything.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I agree, F_B.

Hell, I'm not sure I'd trade Harris for Kidd straight up.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I don't agree with all the new saber stats but to shrug it off as bullshit is complete ignorance.

8. chester

chester Member

Just saw on ESPN.com that Devean George is invoking his contractual right to block the deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3244818

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Read the fucking 1,000-word explanatiion of true shooting percentage -- full of abrbitrary numbers and arbitrary percentages -- and tell me what fucking sense it makes.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Wasn't there someone who here posted awhile ago that Devean George was going to be a breakout star?

And seriously, Devean George is going to hold this deal up? Really?

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Maybe Gregg Popovich will complain that the blocked trade prevents the weakening of a conference rival.

And I could be wrong . . But I think Songbird posted that about Devean George being a potential breakout star.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

If you hate defense, this Suns-Warriors game is great.

Draft saved Draft deleted