1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kid writes for Bleacher Report, never gets paid

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NDJournalist, Jul 22, 2014.

1. An unpaid writing gig looks as good on a resume as a job stocking shelves at Walmart.

2. OgCritty

OgCritty New Member

I picked up my first job covering a mid-major football and basketball program because of my several unpaid gigs I took while in college. The industry sucks and I think I'll get out sooner rather than later, but for someone who really wants to be a professional sports writer, there's no way around taking unpaid gigs. To get a paid internship, one must almost always have another unpaid internship on the resume. The system is broken, but it's not changing anytime soon.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Buzzfeed, linked out the ass on social media, is not far from the bottom-dwelling depths of B/R.
    Cheap, trite, syndicated, predatory, list-based content distributed inexpensively.
    Appealing to penny-watching content providers.

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

This is patently incorrect.

5. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

We're not counting college internships where you get course credit. Ideally you get paid cold hard cash for an internship, but many media companies don't do that so course credit is acceptable.

The second you graduate, you should never work for free again. You're getting nowhere if you work for free.

I'm no Effin' Stud, but I've worked freelance, part-time and full-time in this business. I've been underpaid and overworked. Not once have I worked for free. Anyone who thinks they have to take a few free gigs to make it is flat out wrong and misguided.

6. GAPrintDino

GAPrintDino New Member

I think the key is that you have to have good work out there, to be obvious. Paid, unpaid, whatever.

It's an interesting (or maybe sad or confusing or ever-shifting or frustrating) environment these days. Seems like a lot of known, paid quantities have been devalued. At the same time, there is also this culture of entitlement bubbling up around new or unpaid writers, as if every writer deserves pay just for being willing to write. And at the same time as all of that, it's a buyer's (employer's) market for all these outlets - the market is just flooded with people who can write, and more clips out there than ever before.

I don't know how to begin unpacking all of that. But in regards to where this specific conversation seems to be heading, I think we're talking about two train tracks in devaluation and entitlement.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

There was a time not all that long ago when you could have said "We're getting the guys from EdTV back together for a cable drama and you are going to absolutely rave about the acting," and people would have laughed.

I'll give this cast a shot before I dismiss it.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/freelancing-sucks-1617518517/+robharvilla

Draft saved Draft deleted