1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kid who was N. Carolina mascot dies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Hope this isn't a DB, but I didn't see it elsewhere. Sad.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/ncaa/specials/ncaa_tourney/2007/03/26/bc.bkc.northcarolinamas.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Re: Kid who was N. Carolina mascot killed

There was mention of it when he got hit, but this is awful. So sad for him and his parents.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That's not the update we wanted to hear about this kid. That's terrible news.

4. Re: Kid who was N. Carolina mascot killed

Man, that is a shame. RIP.

5. boots

boots New Member

Very sad. That area is notorious for speeding and accidents.

6. Re: Kid who was N. Carolina mascot killed

The CBS guys were really good about this kid the other night, when the accident happened.

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

This is sad. It reminds me of another unfortunate tragedy at that school a few years back.

Stephen Gates, who was the women's basketball and baseball radio play-by-play announcer at UNC and also was a sideline reporter for football, was changing a flat tire on the side of Interstate 40 late at night. He got hit by an SUV and died immediately.

At least the guy who hit the mascot kid stopped and tried to help. The jerks who hit Gates drove away, but fortunately they were caught and prosecuted.

Why did it have to be an SUV?

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Kid was probably Mr. Personality and a nice guy, too. Hard to imagine someone who's a dick wanting to put on the costume and interact with fans.
    (btw, changed the thread title for accuracy.)

9. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I'm in NYC for the NIT, and the local news had a feature on the kid in its sports segment. Seemed like a great guy with lots of friends, and, as you said, lots of personality.
    Terrible, terrible thing. RIP, Jason.

10. Kable

Kable Member

Man, I remember that was a big news story around here a few years ago. Still, pretty sad.

11. boots

boots New Member

DON'T GET MUGGED!

12. girl friday

girl friday Member

Saw that he had died last night. Just so sad.

Like Killick said (and from reading the stories on the Tarheels website), he was probably an amazing kid personality-wise.

Draft saved Draft deleted