1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kid thrown off the team because of t-shirts

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Apr 27, 2011.

1. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

This just reeks of being a control freak and selfish stupidity by the coach, AD and school.

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

JV basbeall sometime in the mid 90s: A player gets into the batter's box during practice to take a few hacks with his cap on backwards. His coach, a real baseball guy, says, "When you start hitting like Ken Griffey Jr., you can wear your hat like that. Until then, turn it around." Kid does it.

Sure, wearing your hat backwards during BP wasn't hurting anyone, but it was a matter of pleasing your coach. Maybe it was a power move by this particular coach, maybe the coach is a huge fucking dick. I don't know. But maybe some teammates went to him and said, "Why are the fucking distance guys glorifying another school?"

I guess I'm just sick and tired of kids who, when they don't get what they want, go running to someone to bitch about it and make a stink.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

These kids are wearing the shirt of some other school as they are riding the bus to a meet?

WTF?

Just wear your school colors on game day and stfu, attention whores.

4. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Sounds as if the students were wore the shirts to school and the coach decided then not to let them on the bus.
    If that's the case, the kids have a much more solid case. I don't think the school has a policy against students wearing the shirts during the class day.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Actually, it's also a safety thing. Kid should have been wearing a helmet.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

If you wear jeans to work and your SE says his rule - but not the papers' - is you can't and you wear them again and he fires you, did you deserve it? After all, they're not offending anyone. It's just work, not life and death.
    Kids broke the coach's rule. They deserve to be punished. It's how life works.

7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

In our area, a lot of the track kids are all real buddy buddy. One kid from our smallest school was a fantastic runner, one of the best I've seen. His junior year he's battling this other guy from further south. It's a true, real, battle. And, yet, for some reason, when our local kid would lose on the state's big championship stage or at the regionals, the first thing he did was congratulate the kid who beat him and he looked genuinely happy about it because the two had such a close relationship.

I say that to say this: While I'm all for rivalries in sports and team pride, sometimes you need to step back and realize that sports is supposed to be a good experience for kids.

So these kids made some friends with folks at another school and wanted to get all koom by ya and shit. Who cares?

It's track. It's barely a real sport. Let these kids have something instead of standing on your soap box pretending to be teaching them something about listening to their coach or blah blah blah authority figure.

Five years from now it's not going to matter who ran for what team or where they finished. But it's possible, just possible, that when they look back on their high school days, they'll remember the friendships they made with athletes from other schools. It must be important enough to them. They got kicked off a team for it.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If it's not the paper's rule, and I see other co-workers walking around in jeans, then you bet I'm going above the SE's head.

The kids don't get any competitive advantage from the shirts, and they aren't creating any disturbances, except in the coach's tiny mind. Plus, a precedent was already set in allowing the kids to wear the shirts.

The school needs a policy that says, "Athletes must wear only the required uniform." If the school has already left it open to interpretation, then that's their fault for letting this get to that point.

9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Coach was throwing from behind a screen ... the balls weren't being fed through a machine.

10. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I worked at a newspaper with a managing editor who decided everyone on staff needed to dress professionally, meaning ties and slacks for the guys, even the sports guys. I was working at a paper with 120 degree days in the summer and American Legion baseball day games. Asking the sports reporters to wear shirts, ties and long pants on those type of days was ridiculous. So we didn't do it. We broke the rules because it was a stupid rule. We didn't get fired for it. The managing editor didn't last very long in his position of authority.
    Some rules are stupid. The T-shirt rule is one of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted