1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kid thrown off the team because of t-shirts

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/sportshighschoolsports/917232-221/nashua-athletes-bishop-south-t-shirts-got-them.html

I can understand the defying the coach issue. What I cannot understand is why the coach or the AD or any reasonable person would be offended by the shirts. There was no profanity, no promoting of alcohol or drugs. The shirts promoted a friendly rivalry between two schools.
    I fail to see the problem. I just wish the people who saw the problem could expain what it is.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

A HS coach on a power trip? A HS kid eager to stand up to authority on a seemingly trivial issue?

Next you'll tell me politicians are quibbling over something silly.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Get used to it, kids. It only gets worse when you're an adult.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The coach is an idiot, and the school is equally idiotic for backing him in this circumstance.

Kids might have a case for this one. It'd be pretty hard to argue that they were creating a disturbance by having a T-shirt that promoted friendship.

5. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Another reason to ban high school track and field

6. Baron Scicluna

"YOU ONLY COVER US WHEN WE WEAR T-SHIRTS PROMOTING FRIENDSHIP!"

(We haven't had one of those "You only cover us" posts in a while).

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

*Shaking head*

There nothing subliminal - at least that we as readers could interpret - no profanity, nothing to trigger violence and ... what's the problem, again?

Looks like the kids got it right, while the so-called adults are being children.

8. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Sadly, I've seen kids get kicked off of teams for less. A coach can treat a team like his own little fiefdom and most AD's I've met would be on the coach's side 100% in a coach vs athlete dispute, no matter how logical either side's arguement was.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Cross-country in the spring?

11. Baron Scicluna

The story said cross-country was in the fall. They wore the shirts to spring track to continue the friendship, and the new track coach decided to be a douche.

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to what the coach says goes?
    Yes, it's a stupid reason, but the coach said don't wear the shirts. Rules are rules.

Draft saved Draft deleted