1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kid survives Golden Gate Bridge jump

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20110311/news.teensurvivesgoldengatejump/

He just had a broken tailbone and a torn lung.
    I wonder if anyone else has survived the jump.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Did you read the link?

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Not carefully enough.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Dozens of people die each year from jumping? How is that walkway not made jump proof?

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

"just" a torn lung?

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Nice classmates.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

He "wanted to look cool," apparently.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/03/10/BA101I8RMI.DTL&tsp=1

I guess he had a pimped-out coffin already chosen.

Not Mensa material, that's for sure.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I believe there was even a documentary made about peopling jumping from the bridge a couple years ago, no? I remember reading a review of it by Ebert, but it was an independent film, and they don't make it out here that often.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Its broken into nine pieces to watch on YouTube. Also, I never ever watch OWN or Dr. Phil but was over at Ms. BYM2's place yesterday and Dr. Phil was interviewing the creator of the film. eerie timing.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

There's a movie out, I believe it's called "The Bridge", which videotapes about 15 people jumping off Golden Gate Bridge.

It is a powerful film.

They interviewed one of the survivors. He said that he contemplated suicide for weeks, but as soon as his feet left the bridge, he regretted jumping. He was mangled pretty badly but recovered.

A broken tailbone and a torn lung, and nothing else, is a miracle. From what I read, to have any chance at surviving, you have to hit the water just right.

About two dozen people have survived IIRC. One person survived, recovered then went out and finished the job. Only person to jump off the Golden Gate Bridge twice.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

You have to be a special kind of crazy to survive that jump, recover from what must have been horrific injuries, then go and repeat the feat, knowing there's a chance that, once again, you will fail to die and you will suffer horribly.

I guess you could say the second-time-lucky jumper took.....a leap of faith.

[​IMG]

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Now mothers all over the Bay area are saying: "If Johnny jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge, would you?"

Draft saved Draft deleted