1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kid killers; how to deal

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Unibomber, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

I have been in the biz for 13 years and worked as a cop reporter as a youngster where I saw all sorts of horrid scenes.
    Now that I am older and have two young boys -- 4 and 2 -- the news really hurts sometimes. Whenever there is a story of some scumbag killing an infant or a young child, it really gets to me. Yes, after I became a father these stories really started hitting home, so if you are single you may not relate and just want to call me a wuss.
    But I just wonder how the rest of you, especially parents, deal with these stories. It makes me want to go and become a vigilante against these monsters. I just can't take it, but I still read the stories.
    Should I just not read them?
    Should I see a therapist?
    Or, should I go all Randall Tex Cobb in "Raising Arizona", buy at motorcycle and go kill the bastards who do this? HA!

Seriously though, how do all you deal with it?

2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Randall "Tex" Cobb doesn't kill anyone in "Raising Arizona." He tells the dad he will put the child on the market, then momentarily steals him from H.I. and Ed before he's blown up by a grenade.

But I get your point.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Rope, tree ... no problem.

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

What does a rope swing have anything to do with this?

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

What the hell is a rope tree?

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

it's a strange post coming from a guy like unibomber.

but seriously, i feel the same way now that i have a kid on the way. i just tell myself for every one of these horrific stories, there are tens of millions of kids who made it through the day and were fine. i also find that it helps keep you sane if you avoid TV news for the most part.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Do they still make rope from hemp? 8)

8. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I feel ya unibomber.

I've recently stopped reading the effing things. I have a 2-year-old and I find myself thinking about it far more than I should. Leo makes a great point, and I also try to focus on the fact that the vast majority of people are decent and would kill most of these pedophile bastards with their bare hands if they saw them hurting a child. These guys are such random nutballs you have about 100 times better chance of winning the lotto as having your kid grabbed.

This is one of those things where I agree with people who argue that news outlets focus so intently only on the bad news, giving details of these gruesome acts. After the Jessica Lunsford stuff in Florida, I decided I wasn't going to read them anymore. The line that did it for me was when they described her holding tightly to a toy dolphin as she was buried alive after having been sexually assaulted.

Game over, I'm fucking done. Shit's as bad as watching snuff films.

9. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

Another story today, albeit a difference scenario. Guy left his 11-mo old son in his car all day while he worked; forgot to drop him off at daycare. Wife calls him at office at 3:30 and wants to know why daycare called saying son didnt' show today. Guy jumps up from desk, bolts to car and finds dead son. It was only 80 in San Francisco, where it happened, but kid was still dead. No autopsy yet.

Sorry, can't feel sorry for this dickhead either. I know he forgot and didnt intentionally kill his son, but what kind of parent is SO FUCKING BUSY they forget their kid?? I can't feel sorry for these people, sorry, just can't. As far as I am concerned, they should be locked in a car on a hot day until they die too.

The world really sucks.

10. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Why pay attention to these stories if they upset you? Just ig----- them.

11. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

I know I shouldn't pay attention, but I read the newspaper, and cant' help it. It is kinda like the old trainwreck anaolgy. I just cant not read them.

12. I'm in the same boat as Unibomber except I still cover news. Don't cover cops as much as I used to but I had to cover a trial the other day where two girls killed in a fire would be the same age as my girl, had they lived.

It really gets to you. My only advice is to hug your kid, enjoy your time with 'em and treat them the best you can.

Draft saved Draft deleted