1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kid kicked off basketball team for hair

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain_Kirk, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

No photo, no story. Stupid story anyway. Coach can make whatever rules he wants about hair.

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

During baseball in high school I had a beard to start senior year and our AD said "you can't play on my field with facial hair." So I shaved it and left sideburns ... then our AD continued to freak out and said my sideburns can't go below halfway down my ear. I could never stand that guy.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

To me, its the tension between (1) the coach running the team under his rules without any need to ID justification for the rule and (2) the need to follow rules without question.

Why does the coach have to justify every rule or accommodate everyone's personal preference?

Kids need to understand that they don't get everything they want and that sometimes you don't get an explanation.

Sacrifice for the greater good of the team.

We, the parents, appoint the coaches and that means we give up some control. Not everything has to be explained, only things that are extreme/obviously wrong (e.g. everyone must be bald, or everyone must camp out overnight without any adult supervision.)

4. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I recall Don Mattingly having a similar confrontation with Mr. Burns.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That happened at Auburn, the high school, when the son of an assistant coach at Auburn (Trooper Taylor for those curious), the university, complained about the policy.
    Kid, at the urging of his mother, sued saying the coach's policy was racial discrimination because he wouldn't allow braids. Oh, Auburn's coach has been there forever and is African-American.
    They'll revisit the policy next year, but the bullshit factor from the Taylors is wonderful. Taylor the Auburn High School father doesn't like what the coach did ("Got to stick up for what's right"), but Taylor the Auburn University coach would never tolerate this...
    F-tard

6. Point of Order

Next they'll be banning Troopah Towels.

7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I'll be the one to say it.

The kid obviously isn't that good a basketball player. Otherwise, the coach would let it slide because that's the kind of treatment good athletes get in regard to the rules.

Maybe he should spend his suddenly free afternoons working on his jump shot.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

He can? Who gave him that authority?

9. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Parents appoint the coaches?
    That's news to me.

10. Point of Order

The same person who gave him the authority to decide who plays on his team.

11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

This post has me all sorts of confused. You generally shouldn't be taking photos you get off Google Image search for your publication because a) you don't own the copyright or have a license to use it and b)since you didn't take the photo you don't know if there are authenticity problems.

Whether it has a minor in it is pretty much irrelevant. I'm failing to see the "gray area."

12. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

The kid's lawsuit has a snowball's chance in hell of going anywhere. Playing sports is a privilege, not a right, which gives school systems a much greater amount of leeway to control an athlete's conduct and appearance. It's not hampering his expressive speech rights because he doesn't have to play basketball.

The only way I could see it having any merit is if the kid wore his hair long as part of some religious practice.

Draft saved Draft deleted