1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kid hit by pitch, dad sues

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Calvin Hobbes, Jul 19, 2010.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm sure the Dad thinks he's right. People frequently aren't rational or analytical when it comes to their kids.

2. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

So, does Brandon Inge's daddy sue the Texas Rangers now?

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Me, I was thinking Cecil Fielder was going to sue Johnny Venters and the Braves. But Prince hasn't suffered any lost wages or anything.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Threaten to sue, yes. But if you're going to go through the muck of a lawsuit, you have to have some idea you're going to win -- either a settlement or in court. Unless this guy is a lousy lawyer. Or blinded with rage because his kid got hurt.

I'm no lawyer, but I wonder if he would have been better off retaining someone else for this case. At the least, he would find out whether someone with an objective eye thought he even had a case.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Ray Chapman's widow should have sued Carl Mays. She would have won a fortune, especially since her dad was rich and she could have afforded the best attorneys.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What does it matter if he has a case? It doesn't cost him anything, gets him free publicity and damages the coach he is mad at.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

It costs him the filing fee, and if the court determines that he brought a frivolous actions they could sanction him by making him may the defendant's attorneys fees.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Here is my big issue with that story -- why would the coach tell a pitcher to throw at the kid and then tell players to run over kids on the opposing team?

Is there bad blood between these teams? Did things get heated during the game, what?

So we have enough information to know this happened with the bases loaded and a suicide squeeze called twice, but we don't know if things had been heated, these are long-time rivals, etc.

Just doesn't make sense.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Travel baseball more so than any youth sport seems to have become the sport of douche bags.

I really think the dad wants to make a point more than he expect to win the $25,000.

By nature if a kids turns to bunt you are throwing at him. It will be hard to prove intent.

I would like some more context about the game and the two teams.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The problem with a lot of these douchy coach-douchy parent stories is that a lot of background is left out. Probably a lot of background that people don't care about, but a lot of background nonetheless. Yeah, it would seem strange, strategically, that a coach would order a pitch to throw at a player when the bases are loaded. But who knows? Maybe the other coach had ordered a kid to throw at a player. Maybe there was bad blood between players during the game. You never really hear the whole story.

Of course, given that if a story gets to this level, most people have lost their shit over what happened, it's not like you're going to be able to piece together a true, objective account that isn't he yelled/she yelled.

11. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

To me, the story blew holes as soon as the idiot reporter stated that there was a suicide squeeze on the first inside pitch, when the runner on third would have been a dead duck had it been a suicide squeeze.

I'm still of the belief that the so-called "reporter" is friends with the douchenozzle parent/attorney.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I don't know that I would say idiot reporter. My impression was that this was a person who is not a sports writer.

Draft saved Draft deleted