1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kid hit by pitch, dad sues

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Calvin Hobbes, Jul 19, 2010.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not in New Jersey!

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

WELL SINCE YOU PUT THEM IN ALL CAPS...

3. Point of Order

Since you said "three words" I didn't read your two lines of bullshit until just now. Did you read my post at all? If not, stop hyperventilating and take a look at the FIRST FOUR WORDS OF MY POST. I'll even reprint them for your stupid old ass:

"On the facts alleged..."

Do. u. unner sthand. whut. dat. meanz?

If the defendant denies the allegations then the parties can proceed to discovery and at that point the defendant can move for summary judgment and the plaintiff will be required to prove each element of his claim. Further if it turns out that the suit was baseless and that the plaintiff sued for inappropriate purposes, and since he is an attorney, he could be found by the court to be liable for Rule 11 sanctions.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

If a judge even entertains this case on the alledged facts when the scumbag lawyer/father who is suing was not even at the game and has NO first hand knowledge of what happened, the judge should be removed from the bench.

5. Point of Order

Did they not teach civics back when you were in school?

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Shouldn't this go over to www.imnotalawyerbutiplayoneonSportsJournalists.com?

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I have no idea what happened in this case, and I wouldn't even purport to guess. On the one hand, I would presume that an experienced trial attorney such as this batter's father would only sue if he knew he could win. On the other, he wasn't there, and if the whole case hinges on the opposing coach saying "Good!" in a fit of pique, I would find it hard to believe a judge is going to give this case the time of day.

My point is that a coach -- no matter how desperate a league is to have coaches, and no matter what good they did otherwise -- should be thrown out on his butt, or have some punitive action taken against him, if he is telling his players to hurt people intentionally, outside of the bounds and rules of the game. If a league doesn't make clear it doesn't tolerate that conduct, it's asking itself to be hauled into court someday.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The dad's bio ..

http://www.websterdubyak.com/Main/Attorney/ThomasJConnick.page

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Not the way you wrote it. 8)

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've got to think someone was shooting video of this thing.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Good point Dan.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Bob,

This is a pretty naive statement. Don't lawyers threaten to sue all the time? And what would it cost pops to sue, considering he's a lawyer. He still gets to drag the coach through the muck and cost him money, win or lose.

Draft saved Draft deleted