1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kid hit by pitch, dad sues

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Calvin Hobbes, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The comment section on that story goes on for pages...

Writer, what was the score of the game? Was the bunt necessary? Was this piling on?

Tough for dad or mom to sue if they were not at the game.

I'm guessing everyone carries a little blame in this story.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

It would appear the scumbag attorney ship has already sailed.

Initial impression ...
    Dad/attorney almost certainly signed a waiver when he registered his kid to play that included a hold harmless clause that advised of injury risks. Kinda seems like it would apply here.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Unless there are a bunch of witnesses willing to testify about the coach's behavior, then it's going to be pretty tough to prove anything.

Especially considering the kid getting hit accomplished the same thing as the squeeze play anyways.

Plus from the story, it seems like the reporter screwed up and called the play a suicide squeeze when it sounded like a safety squeeze. If it was a suicide squeeze, odds are, the runner got tagged out.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

This indiocy should get thrown out of court before a judge even listens to the "complaint." And the "I'm not a scumbag lawyer" dad should be disbarred for being a scumbag lawyer.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

yeah. why would you intentionally hit a kid who is attempting a suicide squeeze?

and hitting a kid who is attempting to bunt on the hand hardly seems like a fastball in the ear.

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I have a few problems with this.

* The dad is a lawyer, but says the kid won't profit (only the lawyers will). *ahem*

* The dad is going to testify in court about a play HE WAS NOT EVEN WITNESS TO? *ahem*

* Why would a coach intentionally throw at a batter with the bases loaded?

* The money would be used for little Johnny's college education. Hel-LO! His dad is a fucking attorney and he can't afford to pay for his son's education?

Seems to me this douche bag of an attorney is looking to make headlines and a quick buck. What an asshole.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

If the opposing coach indeed ordered his pitcher to hit the batter, and it can be proved, said coach deserves what he gets.
    These are 13 year old kids. Nobody should be throwing at anybody at that level. Period.

9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I think an incident like this was inevitable. Not the lawsuit, but the calling for a beaning up and in. I mean, that's what major league pitchers would do, and the way the game is played in the majors is trickling down to youth leagues.

Not only that, but I went to a local collegiate game two weeks ago and an under-13 team was honored for winning a tournament. Come to find out they've played 55 games since April. That's more than some division I colleges. A little ridiculous if you ask me.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

There is a big difference between ordering a pitcher to hit a kid and asking a pitcher to keep it tight if a player is trying to bunt.

And hitting a kid who was trying to bunt on the hand hardly seems like a smoking gun.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I can't recall a time when a coach of players that age ordered a pitcher to hit a kid. Now, I can think of many cases where coaches encouraged players to lean into a pitch and get hit.

And 55 games is nothing. I know lots of kids those ages who play on three teams simultaneously.

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Again, ridiculous. But this is kind of in line with what I'm saying. These are high-profile teams playing high-profile games, and winning matters. I think the major league mentality is trickling down to AAU baseball at all ages.

Draft saved Draft deleted