1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

kid gets cut? call your lawyer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ColdCat, May 10, 2012.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Having all kinds of jv teams is going to be expensive. Nothing wrong with varsity, jv, fresh setup we've always had. If you're not good enough, work harder. Otherwise its a life lesson that there will always be people better than you.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

For most schools, this is really only going to be an issue in baseball and basketball.

High school football teams usually keep everyone who sticks with the team. Other sports often struggle to keep up the numbers.

I really don't see how it hurts the team if you keep 22 players on varsity instead of 20, especially if the two seniors you would cut have been on the freshman and JV teams for three years.

And about 99.9 percent of the coaches I know at all levels have absolutely no problem in letting kids sit on the bench.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Most baseball coaches I know LOVE having a few extra bodies around. They keep them engaged by having them keep pitching charts, spray charts, the scorebook, chasing foul balls, etc. There are a ton of jobs to do in a dugout, and if they can train these guys to do them then that's one less thing the coach has to worry about while making the benchwarmers feel like they're part of the team.
    There's also, typically, one or two seniors on every team who know they'll never play but come out anyway. No one forces them to do it. They just want to hang around their friends and be part of the team.
    Of course, that's baseball. In basketball there's limited bench space and not as many tiny jobs to keep kids occupied. I can see the logic of having a roster limit or cuts in basketball.

4. Many HS leagues do not permit seniors to play on non-varsity teams (stockpiling rule). And 20 players on one basketball team would seem unworkable.

In my son's high school, there was often an out-of-season PE class for some sports, such as wrestling. Never heard of it for hoops, though.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's probably time to reconsider getting rid of scholastic sports.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, in lieu of that happening, which it isn't, try something else.

Draft saved Draft deleted