1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

kid gets cut? call your lawyer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ColdCat, May 10, 2012.

1. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/arkansas-mother-sues-district-state-constitutional-violation-son-113537254.html

so evidently you have a Constitutional right to play high school sports, which means no one can cut you, and if they do, you can appeal. at least that's what this woman in Arkansas claims.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

Teresa's son tries just as hard as the football players.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Obviously not worthy of a lawsuit, but this seems like a dumb way for the coach to do things. Why not let those nine kids stick around as the JV? Seems pretty heartless to let them think they made the team for two months, then cut them when the football players show up.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Agreed, and it seems strange that the coach had the tryouts for the team in August, instead of just before the season.

Unless, of course, the coach was having the team practice during August, September and October. Which, depending on the state, may not be legal.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Suing is wrong, obviously, but I think more coaches should find ways to keep kids on the team, especially seniors, if at all possible.

Basketball is probably the hardest team to make, and you should know that going in, but I have seen coaches cut seniors from the baseball team who have played since they were freshmen to get down to 20 kids or so.

Unless there are rules about how many players you can keep on the varsity roster, why not dress 25 or 30 if they truly are working just as hard as everyone else?

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I love this.

"…the deprivation of the right to a full and complete education which includes competition in sports and consequently athletic scholarships impairs John Doe of a property right guaranteed under both the U.S. and State Constitutions."

If your son can be replaced by football players after three months of tryouts, chances are a scholarship is not in his future.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

First comment I came across under the story said it all.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The Constitution was good in the beginning...

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I covered a relatively small high school (700ish kids) that had Varsity, JV A, JV B, sophomore and freshman basketball teams. I think that's a good way to handle it.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He is not the 1 percent.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

How about this , suck it up kid, you aren't good enough.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Not related to the lawsuit, which is obviously garbage, but has anyone else seen basketball tryouts in August? Seems like there's something the school needs to do about its procedures. Either that or the mom is thoroughly misinterpreting what happened in August and thinking it was a "tryout" instead of a "workout."

That sounds like a bad, bad idea. First off, your team gets better with repetition, and the more kids there are at practice, the fewer reps each kid is going to get. Also you want to reward kids with playing time and you just can't do it if you have that many kids on the team. I suppose you could take those seniors and say "you can be on varsity but you will never play," but I don't think that's very fair to them either. Cut 'em loose and let 'em live their life.

I was a guy who would have been in that group if the coaches had done it that way. Probably would have actually helped them to have me there, because I already knew the ins and outs of keeping a scorebook and thus could have taken their minds off stat-keeping. But being free to do other things my last two years of high school, with the knowledge that I had gone as far as I was going to go, worked out much better for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted