1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kid duped by fake Tedford

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't understand the Kevin Riley bit. So he was involved and was paid but they have no info to identify a suspect?

So they never met the guy? Don't have a phone number?

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I agree, the kid, parents and h.s. coach all have to be pretty stupid to get duped.

But I hope this calls attention to the unregulated "recruitment services" industry that is growing like wildfire. Any idiot can hang out a shingle and claim to get your budding Mia Hamm into the UNC soccer program. It's become another way to make money off youth sports, and it makes me ill.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Story goes that the middleman went with him to Oklahoma State, took him around the campus, and then went back to Nevada.
    I also heard that the kid was getting some official mail, those standard questionaires that all schools send out and letters from colleges where he had went to summer camp. That includes Cal and Oregon.
    You have semi-legit companies that place kids all the time. Do highlight videos for them, stir up interest.
    It sounds more and more like this middleman had a really good con going, plus the right combination of stupid parents with lots of money.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Or worse, stupid parents who spent more than they could really afford to in the hopes of landing a big-time scholarship for their kid.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

What a shock. A kid made up a wild yarn.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

So the kid is pretty clever . . . but only to a point.

This story is great. I love that it also serves as an indictment of the system and the oversaturation of recruiting coverage. He had the local media fooled.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'm guessing the kid used it on a wild weekend expedition.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

At the buffet.

9. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

This article on Rival's Cal site says the kid's HS coach has had several kids sign with D1 schools in the past and has even coached at the collegiate level previously:

http://cal.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=769462

10. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I wonder what goes into the thought process of a HS kid choosing which fake scholarship offer to accept?

I hope this guy got all the tail he could handle while he was doing this little bit of dinner theater, because that train ain't stoppin' again as long as he's at that HS.

Still, you kind of have to feel bad for this kid. How screwed up do you have to be to make up this elaborate a ruse? He could have stopped it at any point but let it get to where he actually stood up in front of an assembly and made himself one of the great idiots of 2008.

11. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I still come back to the HS coach. How could he not have sensed something wasn't right? No D-1 recruiters had ever come around or called him about the kid. He could have sniffed this out by taking two seconds to Google the kid's name to see if he was on any recruiting websites (same goes for the local reporters, by the way). How does the coach let it get to the point where the kid is having a big ceremony in the gym to announce his decision?

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hard to believe the "top recruit in Northern Nevada" wouldn't be getting a sniff from Nevada, but has Tedford and Stoops after him.
    I can understand the problems reporting the story, a lot of guys can't make first team all league but end up with a better full-ride than the player who did. And schools have been known to throw scholarships at players for reasons other than they were the best player out there.
    Still, I can't believe so many people were so eager to be duped by this scam. It does make me wonder how many AAU coaches and player agents are involved in stuff like this on the basketball side as well.

Soon to be an episode of Law and Order, or CSI.

Draft saved Draft deleted