1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kid duped by fake Tedford

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Overrated

Overrated Guest

That's one of the three funniest things I've ever read on this board. I literally laughed for 15 seconds. I'm fucked up. Not drunk, just fucked up.

2. B-I-N-G-O

That was my first thought. This kid, who is listed as a mediocre prospect said he was being recruited by Oregon, Oklahoma and Cal?
    I don't the local media checked this out very thoroughly. I think they are treating this with kid gloves - with good reason.
    Check the quote from the coach. No statement from him about being contacted or receiving letters or even that kid was duped.

And NO official visit?! Something stinks to high heaven. I have never heard of a kid committing to Cal, Penn State, Glenville State or Shitburg State without making a visit.

No quotes from the kid's parents either?
    I think this is/was a staged deal - orchestrated by the kid - that will be relegated to a six-inch brief if my theory turns out to be true.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Actually, he's not.
    You're allowed to say, "Slappy is fast." You can't say, "We'd love to have Slappy because he's fast and we need fast kids."
    The line is so fine most coaches just make it a blanket policy (and a smart one) not to comment until the kid signs because then they can say what they want.
    They can damn sure say, "We are not recruiting him." Or the recruiting coordinator can tell you they are not, even with no attribution. How do you think these recruit-niks get those lists? Someone is talking.

4. baskethead

baskethead Member

But what would the benefit be to this kid in duping everyone? And were his parents in on it, or was he somehow duping them too? Why? What would his excuse for then not being at Cal in a few months be? That doesn't make sense to me, if he was clever enough to put on a big charade (well, not sure how clever it was, but he had enough people believing it for awhile) then wouldn't he be smart enough to think ahead to what he does when it's time to actually go to the school?
    I think it's more likely that he was the one being duped, for whatever reason. I don't think that every kid, especially a kid from a small town in rural Nevada (I've been to Fernley many times, it's not exactly the middle of civilization) nor those around him who have never been around major college recruiting, know the ins and outs of it. Maybe they didn't know that it was common to take a visit to the school before being offered, or have a home visit. While they should have, I don't think it's out of the question to believe they wouldn't know all this stuff just because those of us who deal with it all the time do know it.
    Either way, will be very interesting to see exactly what happened.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

If you can fake a visit, could you fake illegally recruit someone?

6. markvid

markvid Guest

Ask your "Street Agents".

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fixed for accuracy.

8. This was a total hoax. The kid was also telling people he was recruited by Oregon - which isn't true. There's now a police investigation.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'm starting to go down on the side of the "recruit" instigating the hoax.

Then again, as Moddy said recently, there's no law against being an asshole.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Classy Jay - I am sure the folks with handicapped children on this board will get a kick out of your post.

11. Abe Froman

Abe Froman Member

great reporting by Scott Templeton

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Excellent.

Draft saved Draft deleted