1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kid duped by fake Tedford

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Feb 5, 2008.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I feel bad for this kid. How embarrassing.

From Wizard of Odds via benmaller.com:
    When offensive lineman Kevin Hart of Fernley, Nev., announced his commitment to California last Friday, he did so in front of a packed school gymnasium. Two local TV stations showed up to film the event as he prepared to become the first Fernley athlete to receive a full scholarship to a Division I school directly out of high school.
    "They really sold me," Hart said. "Coach [Jeff] Tedford and I talked a lot, and the fact that the head coach did most of the recruiting of me kind of gave me the real personal experience."
    But it appears that Hart was the victim of a prank. Somebody, it appears, has been impersonating Tedford. There never was a scholarship offer — let alone any official contact — from the Golden Bears. Fernley coach Mark Hodges, who has been a coach for more than 20 years, now says the matter is a "law enforcement investigation."

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Man, how cruel can some people be?

3. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

He's not alone-Cal fans have been duped by a fake Tedford for several seasons now.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Shouldn't be too hard to find out who this fake is.
    I'm assuming they kept records of emails, phone calls, etc.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Did they fake an official visit to Cal as well?

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

If he wanted to go to Cal out of the chute, he probably didn't need to take one to convince him.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The Fake Tedfords would be a great band name.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's brutal, but who commits to a school less than a week before signing day without ever taking an official visit?

9. If he ends up taking a visit somewhere, here's your headline:

Gullible's travels

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

And did someone actually impersonate Tedford?
    I find it stunning that someone would commit without meeting the coach either in an in-home visit or an on-campus visit.
    Or that the local media didn't question the commitment if the kid wasn't a legit prospect. Surely to God, some local Cal fanboi would have called BS as well.
    Maybe that kid rides the short bus to school. Retards are known to have massive strength, maybe that explains his success at football.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Who commits to a school without a home visit or an official campus visit... Did someone from Cal even talk to his football coach?

If someone did this to this kid, I hope they rot in hell... But this kid has got to be just about as dumb as they get.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The HS coach should know better too.

Draft saved Draft deleted