1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kickoff Classics, Jamborees, Pre-Season Games

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CoreyDavis, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Are these jamborees actual games that count or are they just a fancy word for scrimmage?

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

No jamborees here, but 11 weeks to play 10 games (the dreaded "zero week') and one preseason scrimmage (we ignore the scrimmages). The league that has most of the schools we cover has an odd number of teams, as does the adjacent league, so they'll cross-schedule during the bye week. It's an OOC game.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I would think it's a fancy word for scrimmage. There's one in my neck of the wood, it's called a scrimmage, that brings in several high schools. It really helps with preview stories in getting coaches together and they are willing to talk.

4. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

My hard-and-fast rule was always this: Practice game = no coverage. But I can certainly see the point, from a readership perspective. Luckily for me, there was always more than the preppies going on that Friday before the season starts.

RB

5. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

Jamborees are basically a series of scrimmages. You get four or six or eight or however many teams, and each one will play a quarter or a half against another. Depends how many teams are there. Some places, it might be 15 or 30 minutes with a running clock, others it's 10-minute quarters. Each side usually gets about two series on offense and defense before the time is up.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Put more simply, a "jamboree" is simply a scrimmage event involving more than two teams in a single location. In a typical three-team jamboree, Team A plays Team B for a half, then Team A vs. Team C and Team B vs. Team C.

Jamborees are unheard-of in Texas, but in neighboring states they are fairly common in preseason.

7. Football_Bat

Speaking of zero week ... Nowadays zero week's just another week on the schedule deep in the hearta', but a few teams still try to trick up their season openers by playing on Thursday night or Saturday, or playing at a neutral site, or both (teams still insist on calling these "kickoff classics".)

8. spud

spud Member

Non-district games don't count toward the regular season in your neck?

9. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

To clarify, in Louisiana, what is different about a jamboree in relation to a scrimmage is the jamboree is not controlled in any way. It's completely a game situation (with the exception of some jamborees that don't do kickoffs for some reason, they just put the ball at the 30). Of course, when I was in Texas, I saw a scrimmage that was really a game in every way. In Louisiana, scrimmages are always controlled.

10. Football_Bat

It depends on what the coaches agree to do. The scrimmage I blogged last week, for instance, had 10-minute live quarters with no hitting on kicks and punts and the ball always came back out to the 30 on changes of possession. Oh, and when the third quarter ended, the home coach told the clock operator not to run the clock until his team's possession ended. I suppose to get the offense more work.

I've also seen it where they do 15 plays on offense and defense with the first teams, and 10 plays with the second teamers followed by a series of field-goal tries to end the evening. Maybe a live quarter mixed in. These things are very loosely structured.

11. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Yeah they do, but they're pretty much meaningless. All that matters is district play, so while it counts toward the overall record, it doesn't mean much more than that. Just a chance for players to get things in rhythm before district season, especially since our 5A schools commonly play 4A and even 3A schools in non-district.

12. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

In Kansas, teams get a single intrasquad scrimmage. That's it. Missouri gets a jamboree. And Missouri starts a week earlier than Kansas now, so the team that the locals are facing in the season opener will have a game under their belt already.

Last year, it didn't matter. The Kansas team blew the Missouri team out of the water...on the Missouri team's home field, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted