1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kicking off the summer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, May 26, 2014.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I hope everyone is enjoying the long holiday weekend. We kicked it off Saturday with a day at the lake, followed by more fun in the sun on Sunday. Gonna finish it off tonight with the ceremonial charring of mammal flesh on the backyard oven this evening.

While we're all having fun, please remember what this one is about -- those who died while serving the nation.

For me, there's a special list of names:

CW3 Matt Wagstaff
    CW2 Jonah McClellan
    SSG Josh Powell
    SGT Marvin Calhoun
    LTC Robert Baldwin
    CW2 Earl Scott
    CPT Sarah Knutson

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

11 years ago today (it was also Memorial Day on that day), the younger brother of two very dear friends was killed in Iraq.

Major Mathew E. Schram.

On this day 11 years ago, Major Mathew Schram was killed in Iraq. He was the younger brother a very close friend. The following link is to a blog that was written 10 years ago today on the one-year anniversary.

The following blog was written by one of his close service friends a year later.

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2004/05/one_year.html

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Hate to bring down the room, but there's something awry about getting shitfaced and doing wipeouts on a jet ski on the lake, on a day of such somberness considering the recent wars. They should move Memorial Day to the last Wednesday in May instead.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You're the shitfaced one.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I don't think there's anything wrong with celebrating with family and friends while you remember/pay tribute, etc., to those who died while serving. In many cases, they died so you COULD do that.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Agree with TBF. My family has always followed funerals with a celebration of the life of whomever just died. No reason to feel bad about doing the same on Memorial Day.

What irks me are the dummies who post on Facebook, "Thank you to all past, current and future members of our military on this Memorial Day." I feel like Memorial Day is specifically to commemorate those who died in service of our country. Veterans Day is the more appropriate time for such a thank you.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That makes no sense. Memorial Day traditionally has always been the
    last Monday in May.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Dumb question:

What is the difference between Memorial Day and Veterans Day?

My understanding has always been that Memorial Day is for those who while serving and Veterans Day was for all veterans who have served.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Memorial Day is supposed to be a remembrance of those who died in service.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

And, that has been its expressly stated purpose for almost 150 years.

11. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, I think quite a few people don't understand the difference... Not that I'm going to correct them. One of my cousins, posted something about my grandfather, who was in the military, but did not die in action.

I'm for anything that honors anyone who served our country, and if they get an extra day, good for them...

12. Mizzougrad96

Right, but if you watch the news, or look at your FB feed, it's pretty clear the majority of people don't know the difference.

Draft saved Draft deleted