1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Kicked our ass" vs. "Kicked our [butt]"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sneed, May 27, 2009.

1. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Just like watching The Daily Show and having Jon Stewart's fucks bleeped out. But you know what he's saying, so why bleep? Actually, sometimes I think the bleeps make it funnier.

2. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Yeah. Bleeps are funny.

3. You simply can't change the quote. And in 2009, is ass offensive?

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Like most everything else, you can make black-and-white judgments all day if you want, but you'll be following what your newspaper says. And there are almost as many different lines in the sand as there are newspapers.

Chances are you'll disagree with at least some of what your newspaper believes; you may feel it's not good journalism, or whatever. No matter. They tell you to march right, you'll march right.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

A [bleepin'] playground for the [bleepbleepers].

6. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Couple of years back, a local paper used a quote which included the word "shit" in a hed.

Talk about (crap)-storms ...

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Bill Conlin of the Philadelphia Daily News is the best that I've ever read using bleeps in stories. He'd write, "you motherbleeper" or "kiss my bleep" and the quote would make sense.

8. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Ha. I kinda like that.
    I quoted a guy once for my school paper who said he "ate, shit, slept, and played" whatever sport it was. I don't remember at the moment, I think it was basketball. Anyway, my adviser circled it as he proofread and wrote, "Way to quote him, but is this classy?"

I ended up taking it out completely, but it's stuck in my head ever since. What was the right thing to do there?

9. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Were you going for classy, or trying to accurately portray your subject?

10. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Yeah, my thoughts too. I wimped out.

11. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

It depends upon whose it is.

12. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Just for the hell of it, I try to work in the phrase "tit for tat" whenever possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted