1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kick a Ginger

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KG, Nov 21, 2008.

1. KG

KG Active Member

I think this is worse than just general school bullying, because it involves targeting a group, rather than an individual. It's scary to know that kids are organizing hate days to physically abuse others.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I have no idea what action has been taken on the offenders or what action will be taken. My frustration was in his clueless response to the idea that bullies would pick on someone because of their hair colour. If the idea is that foreign to him, I'm curious as how successful he and his anti-bullying group are and how experienced they are in dealing with bullies and those who have been bullied.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Absolutely.

4. It's a public statement, beef. It's supposed to be non-specifically horrified. My guess is that this guy probably has forgotten more about the psychology of bullying than most of us will ever know.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Non-specificaly horrified is fine. Cluelessly horrified, however, is well, horrifying. It's a fine line. I hope he was going for non-specifially horrified, but in my eyes he missed the boat completely. He could have expressed his concern about how organized the bullying is, as opposed to looking like he was completely caught off guard by one of the simple facets of bullying - picking on someone who's different. From the eyes of someone who was bullied from Grade 5 through Grade 12 I look at that as complete ignorance. There's no way I trust that man to actually be able to help me out let alone lead an anti-bullying program competantly. That's my problem with him.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

gingerbread is gonna be ticked off ... :D ;D

7. Hey, at least it wasn't "Kick A Shiela Day!" Those protesters in California would really have something to bitch about. 8)

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What would be worse -- kicking a Ginger or stealing their sunscreen?

9. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Bullying is terrible, no doubt about it.

But, in my stepfamily, you kick a ginger at your own peril. Especially my stepsisters. They're like dainty mules.

10. lono

lono Active Member

OFFICIALLY PISSED

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

ESPN's latest marketing ploy?

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

With the exception of Gilligan's Island, I have never, ever heard of a redhead being called a ginger.

And I've been one all my life.

Is this some new term, like a kinder, gentler carrottop?

Draft saved Draft deleted