1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

KHSAA Sports Information Director (Pay is $40,000 and up in Lexington, KY)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Central-KY-Kid, Aug 13, 2008.

1. I believe this was Butch Cope's old job or a spin-off of said job. Butch was great to work with, FWIW.

Kentucky High School Athletic Association
    Vacancy Announcement for the position of
    Sports Information Director
    The Kentucky High School Athletic Association is accepting applications for the position of Sports
    Information Director.
    It is the mission of the KHSAA to establish, promote, and deliver the highest quality interscholastic athletic
    programs and activities in an efficient and progressive manner that emphasize participation, safety,
    sportsmanship, and integrity to enhance the educational experience of the student-athlete.
    • A minimum of a four (4) year college degree
    • Background in media relations & sports information
    • Extensive publications experience
    • Radio, television or photography experience
    • Public speaking and public relations experience
    • Computer competency and experience using desktop publishing software (InDesign®, Pagemaker®,
    Quark®, etc.) is preferred
    • Computer competency and experience using Microsoft Office® is required
    • Experience developing/maintaining a web site or web site information
    • Effective communication and organizational skills necessary for working with the Association
    membership, media, the general public and other groups
    • High school, college, or professional sports experience
    • Experience in directing special events or programming (Experience specific to sports events is preferred,
    include activities comparable to the Association’s sports competition programs or special activities)
    • Travel and coverage of all KHSAA State Championships events (these are frequently on weekends or
    outside of the work day)
    • Ability and desire to work beyond the scheduled work day to maintain the KHSAA/riherds.com
    • Special consideration may be given to candidates with advanced degrees and/or experience in a high
    school athletic association and/or high school/central office administration
    • The successful candidate will qualify for membership in the Kentucky Teachers Retirement System and
    follow the hiring guidelines of background and criminal records check as required by the Kentucky
    Department of Education
    • This is a full-time position, exempt from Federal and State wage and hour laws and not entitled to
    overtime pay
    • The office of the Association is located in Lexington, Kentucky
    • By adopted policy, the successful applicant must live in Fayette County, or a county that is contiguous
    with Fayette County
    • Salary is part of the adopted salary schedule set by the KHSAA Board of Control and will be
    commensurate with experience based on the salary schedule. For 2008-2009 this range is $40,400 to
    • Benefits include individual health insurance, retirement system match, and annual paid sick and vacation
    • Current or retired Kentucky Teacher Retirement System members must comply with all KTRS
    • The start date for the successful candidate will be negotiable upon selection. Deadline for submission of
    resume and support materials is September 5, 2008.
    Persons interested should submit a letter of interest, resume, to include contact information for the last three
    positions held, and three (3) letters of recommendation. Applicants should include detailed information on
    their experiences related to the qualifications for the position. Examples of publications, written materials
    and other professional work, such as advertising campaigns, etc. should accompany the application. Mail all materials to:
    Commissioner Brigid L. DeVries
    2280 Executive Drive
    Lexington, KY 40505
    The Kentucky High School Athletic Association does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sex, or disability in employment, educational programs, or activities as set forth in Title IX and Title VI, and in Section 504 and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
  2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I was going to apply, but after reading the whole post, I no longer have time.
  3. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

4. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

What I got out of that: You're going to work lots and lots and lots and lots of overtime and not get paid for any of it, and you better not complain about it. Sounds like a real shit job from reading that ad.
  5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yeah, there's gonna be times when this job requires, I would guess, 80 to 100 hours in a week. $40K isn't going to seem like nearly as much then.

If the job requires working beyond the "scheduled work day," then maybe the "scheduled work day" isn't what they present it to be.
  6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

What happened to Butch?
  7. Butch was promoted to assistant commissioner. I think I dealt with Butch (and Marilyn Mitchell) more than I did with the assistant commissioners combined.

Butch is good people.

And the riherds scoreboard, which he was in charge of, is awesome.
  8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

Best high-school sports results site in the country, without exception.

(Frank Riherd would like you to use your shift key. And to buy a trophy or plaque or something. :D )
  9. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Interesting: membership in the Kentucky Teachers Retirement System and
    follow the hiring guidelines of background and criminal records check as required by the Kentucky
    Department of Education.

The sports association is part of the Dept. of Ed? That's different, at least around here. At least you know you're getting some good retirement benefits -- in about 20 years.

I'd be all over it if I was living in KY and looking to get out o the business. Bust your ass for a few years and move on.

Yeah, these jobs are hell hours-wise. But I imagine the summer months are quiet.
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

By law, the KHSAA is the organization that the Kentucky Dept. of Education assigns to administer school sports in Kentucky.

And this isn't a bust-your-hump-for-3-years-and-leave job. It's good money --- enough that you'll have a hard time staying in the field while getting a raise at your next job. Lexington has a low cost of living, too.
  11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

True that. I had a very spacious 1BR apartment in Little Mexico over off Alexandria Dr. for $450.
  12. My apologies.

The Riherd scoreboard is bookmarked on every computer in our department as well as my laptop and home computer. And apparently their adding cross country, swimming, track and wrestling to it soon. As well as downloadable rosters (which right now are only accessible to ADs).

For as much crap as some high school associations take, the KHSAA gets it right when it comes to the web site. Butch (and the new SID) has a lot to do with that.
Draft saved Draft deleted