1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Keyshawn to retire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, May 23, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

Keyshawn Johnson has declined an offer from the Tennessee Titans and has decided to retire.

The wide receiver, who also expected to receive an offer from the Oakland Raiders, is expected to announce his decision at a Wednesday afternoon news conference at his alma mater of USC, his agent, Jerome Stanley, told ESPN.com's John Clayton.

Johnson will pursue a broadcasting career with ESPN.

"Following Keyshawn's retirement announcement we plan an announcement on his joining ESPN," the network said Wednesday.

"The timing of it was just right," Stanley said of Johnson's decision. "There were a couple of slots open in broadcasting. He was either going to retire this year or next year, but the timing just turned out to be right now."

Johnson, who turns 35 in July, was released by the Carolina Panthers earlier this month after the Panthers drafted Southern California wideout Dwayne Jarrett. He had 70 catches for 815 yards and four touchdowns for Carolina in 2006.

Johnson, the No. 1 pick in the 1996 NFL draft, has started 162 of 167 games in his 11 NFL seasons that spans stints with Carolina, Dallas, Tampa Bay and the New York Jets. He retires with 814 career receptions for 10,571 yards and has 64 touchdowns.

He worked as an analyst on ESPN's televised coverage of the the NFL draft last month.

Johnson had visited the Titans on Friday and met with coaches and watched film. Titans coach Jeff Fisher, who became friends with Johnson while he played at USC and Johnson was a ball boy, said Monday he thought Johnson's numbers and production spoke for themselves.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Thank God.

A long-overdue farewell to the most overrated player in recent memory.

The thought of seeing that fake grin on ESPN every week does make my stomach churn, though.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Just give him the damn microphone.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Look at it this way, which would you prefer, him or Michael Irvin?

5. boots

boots New Member

Keyshawn wasn't too bad as an analyst.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Better as an analyst or as a receiver? ;)

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I agree. Sounded good at the draft ... will be much, much better as a studio analyst than Irvin.

8. boots

boots New Member

I actually think he had one more good year left in him as a receiver.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Keyshawn is going to make you all pine for the days of Irvin. I guarantee it.

For all of Irvin's bullshit, he was a HOF-caliber reciever. Keyshawn was a HOFer in his mind only. Remember when he told Irvin he was going to exceed all his numbers? What a crock of shit. He couldn't sniff Irvin's jock. His only shot to surpass Irvin was to play deep into his 30s, and we all know Keyshawn cared more about his restaurants and getting his mug on TV than football.

Ondeadline is funny but right. I bet we hear about behind-the-scenes squabbling re: Keyshawn not getting enough face time.

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

Irvin.

Undoubtedly.

11. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I'd rather have Keyshawn than Irvin.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Wow.

Draft saved Draft deleted