1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Keys to Becoming a Beat Reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by John Thomas, May 15, 2018.

1. Old Time Hockey

Old Time Hockey Active Member

The flip side of that, I think, is that you might NOT be hired if you don't have any video background.

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Here it is, winner of the SJ Best Post of 2018 Award. No need to nominate anything else.

3. If it's truly your goal to become a major beat reporter (D-I colleges or pros), I'd also recommend trying to get in on the ground level at a paper that has those beats. It seems like more and more papers are promoting from within to those positions. Obviously outside hiring still happens, but it seems like being in-house significantly increases your odds, especially -- obviously -- if you've been doing good work. So shoot for a preps or maybe even part-time gig at a bigger paper and work your way up.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Remember this is the new era of reporting. Beat reporter is one of the worst jobs in the world. You cover the Orioles or Indians or Reds or Cubs lets say. You work 90 hours a week or more and get paid 40. You get maybe one day off a week, probably none during the six-month season. You travel as cheaply as possible and at the worst times as possible to save money. You have no family time. You have no free time. You make about 50,000 a year if you are lucky which is nothing when you consider all the unpaid overtime. Oh yes you also do the work of several individuals. You are talk show host, photographer, videographer and writer. It is an awful job in this day and age of being used by the corporate world.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Nobody tell D-Day this.

6. ZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZ New Member

If you want to be a hockey beat writer for example, how much does it help having experience covering a hockey? Is it critical or do papers want to see you have beat writing experience, regardless of the sport?

7. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

It obviously helps a lot to have beat writing experience, and experience covering the sport you may be applying for, but it isn't always mandatory. If you can write, and have experience breaking news and writing on deadline, all that helps, too. Different publications and editors look for different things.

One suggestion: If you know which beat you want to cover, find a publication that covers it and reach out to the editors and writers to make a connection. Try meeting them in person, if you can, then build a portfolio of work while cultivating those relationships and one day it may pay off.

Waldo9939 and ZZZZZZZ like this.
  8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Doubling down on this. You will find some hiring individuals value a great reporter more than a great writer. Others want someone who can spin a tale. The best strive for both.

9. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Somebody emailed a friend about becoming a beat writer for the local NHL team. My buddy said you need to start out covering preps and work your way up the ladder. Kid's response? "I want to cover them now!" Uh, OK.

10. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

It's not uncommon these days for someone to skip the preps, start out as a blogger on a pro sport, and get hired to cover that pro sport.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He's more likely to cover them now than work up the ladder. Prep call-ups are rarer and rarer. More and more hiring editors have a cockeyed confidence in their ability to spot talented beat writers, and they usually tie that talent to the ability of a writer to write features about some the quarterback's dying mom or an athlete with cancer. I'm not kidding.

Writing empathetic human interest features is the fastest way to a good job.

Tweener and Fredrick like this.
  12. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

#NoDaysOff

Draft saved Draft deleted