1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Key West trip thoughts?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

www.townsquareinns.com/cowboy-village

Or stay across the pass in Driggs.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Oh, please. You didn't have to go into the drag shows.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A long time ago, when my grown daughter was a preteen, we used to rent a house at Chatham on Cape Cod. And one summer day we drove to Provincetown, which has a freak quotient as higher or higher than Key West. And she LOVED it. For her, seeing people who didn't care what other people thought about what they were like was this sort of epiphany. So don't be too sure Key West isn't for kids. Kids have a lot going on in those heads.

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I will third the recommendation of the Southernmost. I've stayed there a few times. The rooms are clean and the tiki bar is great.

And the drive down U.S. 1 is well worth your time. If you still decide to fly into KW, DON'T get a rental car. It'll just sit in your hotel parking lot all week. Almost everything worth getting to is in walking distance and parking's a pain.

5. jr/shotglass

This. Resist the urge to get a rental just because that's what you always do, and you think you'll need it at SOME point during your stay. You won't.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Not what I meant.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Green Parrot is cool. Loved Captain Tony's. Great amber ale on tap. And a great dive bar.

Dinner at the Conch Republic restaurant will not disappoint. If you have a car, there's a restaurant the next island up, Stock Island, called the Hogfish that is really really good, but it's not on Route 1 and so you have to know what you're looking for.

If you drive from the mainland, a good stop for lunch is Craig's Restaurant on Islamorada. It's about halfway between Miami and Key West, and has the best damn grouper sandwich you'll find. Plus, the key lime pie is fucking amazing. So is Key Lime Pie dipped in chocolate on a stick in Key West.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Isn't that exactly what waterytart said?

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

If you go, you MUST go to Blue Heaven. It's expensive, but worth every penny. And sit outside in the courtyard and watch the roosters climbing around the trees and shuffling around your feet as you eat.
    http://blueheavenkw.homestead.com/Blue_Heaven_Restaurant_Key_West.html

And one of the best things I've ever eaten was the seafood enchiladas at Turtle Kraals.
    http://www.turtlekraals.com/page9/page4/page4.html

There's a very cool place called Courtney's that we've stayed at a couple of times. Not too expensive if I recall, but we split it betweena few of us. There is one near the marina, and the one we stay at is about 6 blocks off Duval. Just make sure you remember your landmarks if you are planning to get really drunk! :)

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

We stayed here ... http://www.duvalinn.com/ ... for our 10-year anniversary. It's in the perfect location, and the rooms are awesome. Plus a nightly free happy hour.

Go to the La Concha rooftop bar for a sunset cocktail. It's the tallest building on the island. You can see for miles and miles. The Westin Mallory Square has a great elevated bar for sunsets too. And it overlooks part of the square, so you can watch part of the craziness from there. The dude who does the trained cats usually sets up right below it.

For food, go to La Creperie and Santiago's Bodega.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I am so glad we're friends, and now I understand a little more why.

12. jr/shotglass

If bridges freak you out, the Miami-Key West drive is not the way to go. At all.

Figure you to lose cookies somewhere on the Seven-Mile Bridge.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted