1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Key West trip thoughts?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Is a trip to Key West worth it?

Wifey has a conference there and is thinking of going. Old Evil is willing to tag along.
    However, flights are running $450 a person round trip and average 5-8 hours, depending on the layovers.
    The conference is a swanky hotel (Casa Marina) in Old Town. I could care less about the resort, I'm more interested in the stuff around it. In Old Town. Anything really, REALLY cool?

I have been a Fla a few times and it's OK.
    I'm not the kind of guy who likes to lay in the sand and sun for eight hours a day drinking foo-foo crap and reading. I like to explore. And drink.
    Would Key West be worth a four (full)-day trip?
    Thoughts?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think Key West is one of those places that you should go if you get the chance and you can swing it.

It's an original. I've stayed at the Casa Marina it's a grand old hotel.

If you like to drink, it's a no brainer.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Highly, highly recommend a trip to Key West. There are few better place to explore. And drink. Be sure to go to Blue Heaven and Schooner Wharf and spend some time watching them feed the tarpon off the marina. Also do the snorkeling/sunset cruise, where you spend a few hours checking out the reef, then drink beer/wine and watch the sun set. I would go to Key West once a year if I could. Not sure I could afford/survive 4 days there, and I'd never want to live there, but it's one of the best vacation spots I have found.

4. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I wasn't enamored. But I'm also not much of a drinker.

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

GO!

Nothing like beer and conch fritters for breakfast. Hit all the usual spots: Sloppy Joes, Capt. Tony's, southern most point, mile marker 0, Hemingway house, Mallory Square, Buffett's.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, the snorkeling/sunset cruise is great. Not many places in the U.S. with snorkeling as great.

The beaches suck though. Don't plan to hang on the beaches. The reef keeps the waves from coming in so the water kind of sits there and in the summer gets boiling hot.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Then Key West is the perfect place. Drop your wife off at her conference, go to the Green Parrot and pick her up on the way to the airport for your departure. Whatever you remember in-between will be worth it.

8. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Don't fly to Key West. Fly to Miami and drive to Key West. Each additional bridge is a signal to your brain that life is getting better.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Go and have a good time.

Rent a kayak and paddle around. Take a fishing trip to the Marquesas for tarpon or barracuda. See some of the sights in town.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the beaches are almost non-existent. Totally different from the rest of Florida. Snorekling the reef was one of the coolest things I've done. And if you can afford to take a charter fishing trip for tarpon I would do that in a heartbeat. Can I come? Driving the bridges is awesome, so I would recommend flying into Miami too.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Ugh, I hated that drive. Both ways.

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Tarpon are fun, but opt for barracudas and sharks. Hire a guide. It's worth it.

Draft saved Draft deleted