1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Key West Citizen (Sports reporter/copy editor)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by philly fanatic, Mar 3, 2007.

1. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

gotta agree with Ellis.

This job is for college grads who don't mind living in a box.

2. melock

melock Well-Known Member

It's a 2K?

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

A little off on the numbers, Ellis, my man, but not far off.

CITIZEN, KEY WEST (MONROE CO.) M (M-SAT) DLY 8,480
    CITIZEN, KEY WEST (MONROE CO.) SUN DLY 9,270

4. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Whew, I thought I wasted $1.11. It's still Key West.

5. Apologies. Got it confused with the Cape Coral job a few spots down on Page 1.

6. boots

boots New Member

Let's break this job down. If you like Sunrise. Sunset. Jimmy Buffet. Gay Lovin and low pay, then Key West is for you. Otherwise, move on.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Key West is a tad more balanced out than, say, P-Town.

8. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Khalil Greene played for the Key West High Conchs and they're a pretty decent prep baseball program. Outside of that, hope you like powerboat racing and deep-sea fishing.

I lived in KW when I was in the military for a year. It was wonderful. Drunken nights on Duval Street, the endless cavalcade of tourist women, the fishing, the scenery, the ambiance of Key West....I miss it. Of course, this was 14 years ago and I was 18 at the time.

However, the U.S. government was picking up the tab on our place to stay, so that part of things didn't even enter into the equation. Maybe someone could get a place at Pine Key or, heaven forbid, Stock Island.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Key West is one of my favorite spots on Earth.

To vacation. To come in with money and leave without it.

About working as a sports journalist there, well ...

I remember reading a year or two ago about the Key West High baseball program, one of Florida's best. Here's the thing. There's nobody else out on the Keys that can be competitive with them. They have to hit the road and play on the mainland (Miami, Homestead, etc.), or lure a team down for a weekend. They even built a little dormitory for visiting teams to achieve that purpose.

In other words, there are NO short road trips for Key West sports. You will be using that car a lot.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Either that, or you'll be accompanying the team on its small jet.

I remember when they were building the Indians' complex down in Homestead, pre-Andrew, how much of a pain teams were saying it'd be to get there. They were talking flights for spring training games in-state.

11. azucar2442

azucar2442 New Member

I am Orange Hat Bobcat's friend who spent a year down there before heading off for a 40K in Washington. Good athletes down there to cover, but baseball is what the island feeds off of and nobody in the state of Florida has more championships. There are a lot of good stories and a lot of fun -- especially during the month of March when Spring Break hits -- and the pay should cover the living expenses pretty well. I never really had any problems and that was when the pay scale was 32K to 35K.

This is a great gig for somebody just out of school and looking to work their way up. It's a lot of work with a three-person staff, but the paper has sent about five to six different people to bigger papers or better jobs in the past 3 years. Just be prepared to pay about $700 a month for an apartment where you can cook while sitting on your bed, but if you find roommates you might do better...

12. CaymanGuy

CaymanGuy Member

link=topic=38319.msg1065320#msg1065320 date=1173949344]
    and the pay should cover the living expenses pretty well.

Unfortunately, that's not the case. You will struggle on that salary. To the Citizen's credit, when I interviewed for this position a few years back they were very up front about the high cost of living.

Agree with azucar2442, a great post for someone just out of school or one with no dependents.

Draft saved Draft deleted