1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Key West Citizen (Sports reporter/copy editor)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by philly fanatic, Mar 3, 2007.

1. melock

melock Well-Known Member

My resume's in the mail.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And don't forget the monthly bugouts for hurricanes in the summer.

3. Does the Key West Community College have any athletic teams?
    Is there only a "club" basketball team?
    I found one basketball game and the Key West team got slaughtered, 112-23, by Miami Dade. But I can't find an actual Key West athletics page.
    Any help would be appreciated.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If you live 20 minutes outside of town in Key West, aren't you living in Havana?

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

How long is the boat ride from Key West to the mainland or is there a road that connects the two?

does the SE travel to road games?

just seems like there'd be an awful lot of travel for this gig.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

It's a 2-hour drive to the mainland from KW.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

U.S. Route 1 is the only road that connects the Florida peninsula to the islands. And it's two-lane, so any time a tropical storm even gives a passing thought towards getting 100 miles of the Keys, everyone has to evacuate because of how long it'll take.

A cursory glance at their classifieds shows a pretty steep difference between housing costs even between Key West and the upper keys like Marathon and Key Largo. You can't even get a studio in KW for three digits a month, but the 1-bedrooms in the upper Keys are as low as 750/month. Course, the upper Keys are a haul from KW, so that commute wouldn't be worth it.

I'd do it (I'm single and expendable), but even $40K/yr doesn't go that far when you're shelling out anywhere from 14-18K/yr on housing.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

::)

Stupid turistas ... got a real dummy this time. Can't even read a roadmap. Charge this one full for the T-shirt, Bambi.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to commute by innertube from Cuba?

10. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Had a friend work at this paper, but in news. Had nothing but great things to say his first few months, then it slowly turned into a big hate-fest about the paper. He moved over to the competition (there is another paper there) but found that not much better.

He spent the remainder of his days in the Keys roofing and trying to get on a fishing boat, but ended up moving back to Oklahoma instead.

If I were single, I'd jump on this, but not anymore,

11. Zeke The Plumber

Zeke The Plumber New Member

So what kind of career move would this be for a kid with a general assignment gig at a 30,000 circ daily? I know it's not exactly a move up, but would it be such a step back that it's not worth it, even with the possibility of living in the keys?

12. Yes, it would be a step back. You're going from a GA at a 30K, to a non-SE at a 2K. Don't do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted