1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Key to the safety of women and children? Married men

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Jun 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

3. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Many of society's problems have a similar element...the absence of a father in the house and in an active role with their wife and kids.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And they ask me where I got it
    I get it from my Pops
    Put a man in the house and all the bullshit stops

--Chuck D

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The authors are also badly misrepresenting the study they cite, which shows that women who are married but separated are abused at the highest rate, by a very wide margin. The causality could go either way - the violence could have resulted in separation, or the separation could have resulted in violence. They also don't mention that the study deals with the respondents' current living situation, not necessarily their living arrangement when the violence occurred. The actual conclusions of the study don't support the Post writers' argument.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

If you believe your last sentence, then you're not reading carefully enough.
    Compassion doesn't mean that what's not there is unnecessary;
    Compassion doesn't mean that you don't wish that what's not there was;
    Compassion means that trying to do the best given the circumstances.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But in the writers' defense, any time you can feed the welfare queen media machine, you have to take that opportunity. And besides, it was tremendous SEO to link violence against children to a mass killing of adults on a college campus.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The absence of a father is a factor, but why would a marriage be necessary if he is active with his kids?

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

O rly? He's not arguing that "progressives" are making victimhood "a coveted status that confers privileges?"

He's not arguing that the real victims of quote-unquote "sexual assault" are college administrations? He's not outwardly mocking the victim of the story he recounts by putting "sexual assault" in quotes?

That's not even touching his "arithmetic" skills.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yes, I just don't have it in me to ignore the truth. Good point.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Tony the Truther. Seems about right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.