1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kevin Smith thrown off airplane

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Feb 15, 2010.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They get you from point A to point B 99.99999% of the time.

Wish every industry I encountered fucked me over like that.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I sat next to Joe Black (RIP) at a World Series game in 2001 and enjoyed every blessed second of it. I had a nine-inning baseball/baseball history lesson from a warm, engaging man. That said, I'm glad I had the aisle seat.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You must not fly much.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

That's not a small guy. Not a bigun, either.

I think anyone who has traveled regularly has sat next to larger.

5. Mizzougrad96

Over the years I've sat next to hundred of people bigger than Smith.

6. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I'm a big guy.

Always have been, always will be.

I fight the weight, I'm doing a little better of late.

Some of the comments on this thread ....

I know why most of the shit that people say, they say behind my back.

Most of it, anyway.

As Pedro Cerrano said in "Major League," bring that shit to me ...

7. Well said, Jesus.

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I'm probably shaped somewhat like him, only on a much taller frame (6-5). I remember telling this story the last time we had a fat people flying (Cakes On A Plane?) thread, but the last time I was on a plane, I was next to a small woman who wasn't very comfortable being next to me. I got the armrests down and the seatbelt fastened (barely), but I was clearly making her flying experience very poor, and it was all my fault.

I won't get on a plane again until I can afford a first-class ticket, or I can start looking like a human being.

9. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Were you around her 24/7?

Fat people are one of the last groups it's still considered okay to discriminate against and make fun of. Thankfully, that's starting to change too.

10. Mizzougrad96

This should never be done to anybody. It's one thing to have someone at check-in say something, it's entirely different to be pulled off a plane and humiliated like that.

11. Mizzougrad96

I'm more "big" than "fat" but at about 6-3, 240-250 and I guarantee you no one is thrilled when they find out I'm in the seat next to them.

12. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

The litmus test is two-fold: can you put the armrests down and do you need a seat belt extender. Kevin didn't need either. If you go to www.viewaskew.com (his wwwsite) and listen to his smodcast, he goes the fuck off. For like an hour plus. It gets a little tedious, but it's there.

He flew SWA b/c it was a flight from Oakland to Burbank, which is, oh, about a trillion percent easier to get in/out of than LAX. They have flights going pretty much on the hour from Oaktown to LAX and BUR, so it's not terribly hard to fly standby and get home earlier.

Draft saved Draft deleted