1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kevin Smith thrown off airplane

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Feb 15, 2010.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Isn't more of his complaint that he didn't get the two seats he paid for and that they shouldn't have waited until the plane was fully boarded rather than deal with him long before he got settled in?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

For sitting next to a fat ass or for sitting next to an arrogant no-talent jerk?

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

"no-talent assclown" is the preferred nomenclature around here dude.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This is why I don't fly. That and I don't have the money to go anywhere. Or anyone who wants me to visit them.

But why on earth is Kevin Smith flying Southwest? Doesn't he have the money to fly first-class, especially if he's buying two seats on most flights anyway?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

It would be interesting to find out what the customer service representative told him regarding the new flight.

Anyway, that Fat Acceptance group is interesting. If I was a doctor who specialized in knee and ankle surgeries and/or diabetes treatments, I'd find out where they meet and bring a stack of business cards.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've seen Smith in person, no one is going to accuse him of being fit, but I didn't think he's anywhere close to "that big"

Hell, I traveled with a sportswriter for several years who was pushing 350 who never had any issues on planes.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

To my understanding, if you bump someone off one flight, you aren't allowed to bump them again. Even if you're not allowed to, it's probably still not a very good idea.

If they sold him two seats, and they didn't have enough room on the flight, then they oversold the flight. If the plane has 150 seats, and one guy buys two seats, then you can accommodate 148 people more, not 149.

That you can accommodate two more people by bumping the fat guy is irrelevant. If the fat guy paid for two seats, at the very least, he deserves the same consideration everyone else would get when it comes to bumping people.

Seems pretty unfair to make someone buy two seats, then have them be the first to get bumped on top of that.

9. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Went back and listened to the report again. It stated that he moved to an earlier flight that only had the one seat left. It's almost impossible that the airline forced that move on him, which means this was all on him.

I didn't hear which flight he eventually took, but I assume (maybe incorrectly) that it was the one he originally purchased the two tickets for. If so, I see no reason Southwest should be apologizing for anything.

As for why the airline waited to move him, I'm not sure. Maybe it was waiting to see if the two people next to him checked in. Maybe one of those people complained.

I get that it was probably embarrassing for the guy to walk off that plane, but I'm honestly having a tough time caring. I mean, he's clearly smart enough to know what he should and shouldn't be eating and how his size will affect others on an airplane. He has enough money to hire trainers and chefs and spends his days working with people who know the best in both fields. There's no reason he should be this big, other than he just doesn't give a shit. In which case, why should I?

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Does Southwest do assigned seats now?

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Smith is definitely a "bouncer."

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Unless Smith has gained about 100 pounds in the last few years, there's no way he should have been bumped. He's below average height, a lot shorter than I would have thought, and I'd be surprised if he was over 300 when I saw him a few years ago.

I sat next to a NFL lineman on a flight a few years ago and that guy was listed at 6-4, 360 and probably weighed at least 25 pounds more than that. It was on a flight that didn't have first class and he and I laughed about it for a couple years after it happened.

Draft saved Draft deleted