1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kevin Bacon is no longer relevant

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by NickMordo, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I count that as knowing them, though. They've interacted. I think I only have like two SportsJournalists.com acquaintances friended, though.

2. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

My barber also cuts Kevin Bacon's hair. One degree.

3. Dick Whitman

Yeah. When I think of "not knowing" a Facebook friend, I think of the statement I always hear that, "People don't even know most of their Facebook friends!" As in, have not interacted. Wouldn't remember how they know that person.

Does that really happen?

4. Dick Whitman

Sure. A look at my sister-in-law's friend list shows that she's "friends" with seemingly everyone on the planet who shares our last name. And, I know for a fact that, outside of our immediate family, she doesn't know anyone with our last name.

My nephew (to piggyback on the horny teens comment above) has tons of "friends" I guarantee you he doesn't, or didn't, know. The vast majority of them are girls because he's 16 and horny.
    [/quote]

So they just send a random friend request out to somebody? And that person accepts?

Weird.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I've never friended anyone about who I had absolutely no idea, but I've added people that I could conceivably know based on the mutual friends. If Jimmy Wilson sends a friend request and I can see that we have 20 mutual friends, all from my high school, then I can surmise that Jimmy is probably a guy I know whose name escaped me, and I add him. No real harm in it; even if I never interact with that person, he's another number for my friends list.

Branch the question out: What percentage of your friends list do you routinely interact with on Facebook? Are there people who you interact with frequently that were out of your active circle before becoming FB friends? And do you get freaked out when people from different circles in your life interact with each other on your wall?

6. Dick Whitman

I actually think of this as one of the cooler aspects about it.

7. joe king

joe king Active Member

I'll give you a few examples. The Queen is FB friends with the entire city council of our fairly large city and a number of the area's other political movers and shakers. She's also "friends" with someone who goes by Bozo O'Reilly, whose profile photo is a stuffed tiger and whose feed consists primarily of silly jokes. And the local newspaper's "Around the Town" columnist as well as a couple of reporters who cover our area. And players from the the local pro sports franchises. And I'm sure there are plenty more on there she doesn't really know.

8. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I found this DEAD ON video about Facebook, from an early '90s episode of Seinfeld. The red flash and interaction with many people we don't care for, it's genius.

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I had more than 800 a few weeks ago. I shrunk that down to less than 600 now after doing a purge in which I dropped people that I went to high school with but haven't talked to on FB since either I added them or they added me.
    Since I have worked in numerous radio and TV stations, along with being a DJ at a bar and a few newspapers...I really do know and have friendly relationships with many people...and most are on FB now.
    My wife challenged me to explain to her how I know so many people on FB. So I clicked on my friends list and started to tell a story about each person and how I know them and after about 50 people she relented and figured I could do it for the other 600 (which I could).
    Am I "besties" with most of the people on FB. No. But I feel I can share info on there can be talked amongst all my FB friends.
    There was the odd time, though, when I asked people about why they fold their underwear and my pastor's wife answered something innocent, while a buddy chimed in after "Trying folding a fucking bra! Those bitches are impossible!" I noticed my pastor's wife erased her post and then made a comment on her page about how people need to mind their tongues. She has not made a response on my wall since. So, there are sometimes were circles of friends mixing doe get akward.
    That said, I also have friends you have very few actual friends, but TONS of strippers, cam whores and celebrities that they friend. Hey, whatever gets your rocks off I guess.

10. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I love that a very good friend of mine added a former roommate. They have never met, she told me she added him because FB kept suggesting it. They comment on posts all the time, very cool to see.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

That happened to IJAG when she and her doppleganger became FB friends through the shared experience of putting up with me.

12. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

There are TWO IJAGs?

Draft saved Draft deleted