1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Keurig coffeemakers - Worth the $$$$?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Dec 6, 2011.

1. We have had this burr grinder for about a year or so. Can't beat the $40 price and it does a nice job.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DBM-8-Supreme-Automatic-CCM-16PC1/dp/B00018RRRK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323399179&sr=8-1

I drink 8 o'clock whole bean coffee because the 36-ounce bags are relatively cheap at Wal-Mart and I don't live or work close to a Trader Joes. I brew it in a Cuisinart drip maker. All-in-all, I like the setup and the coffee. Used to buy TJ's Kona and we have a french press for when I'm in the mood to make a really good cup.

Just adding on to this a little: What do people think of coffee percolators as another option? Recently saw one at Amazon for $16. Got me feeling a bit nostalgic for my long-deceased grandmother; she was the only coffee drinker in the fam until I picked up the habit in my late 20s. Growing up my mom would always pull out the percolator and buy some Folger's when grandma was visiting. Seems like the percolator would be easier than the french press and maybe the coffee tastes better than the drip maker?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Percolators have gotten a bad reputation lately.

I can't remember why though.

My mother had one for when they entertained.

3. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

They have, though I also don't quite understand exactly why. My cheap-ass Mr. Coffee works well enough that I can't justify buying anything else. The difference in quality of beans is something I find more noticeable.

4. My thing with a percolator is that the coffee would be a lot hotter at first and hence I can't (as I just did) pull carafe and pour while it's still brewing. I have a pretty nice Cuisinart drip maker ... maybe I should focus on brewing my own beer rather than trying to perfect coffee!

Speaking of quality of beans: Living on a tight budget, does ~$15 for 36oz of 8 o'clock whole beans sound about right or are there better deals to be had on the Internets or elsewhere for higher quality beans.

And, my apologies to the OP. Not trying to threadjack. My brother's wife has a Keurig and loves it!

5. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

8 o'clock is the best widely-available budget bean. DD "sounds" like a budget-bean, but in my experience, you can get Starbucks for less. As I mentioned before, I'm a big fan of Peet's as far as chains go. I can get it for $9.99 for a regular-sized bag at Fresh Market. I buy local to get a less expensive bag that's really good.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm still not sure if the DD pods work in a Keurig?

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

100%.

k-cups is what you want. They sell 'em at Dunkin'.

I've got some of the Hazlenut ones in the hallway right now.

8. Clambake Clem

Clambake Clem Member

I want to get my wife a french press for Christmas. Can anyone suggest a good one? I don\'t want to go crazy but something in the $75-$150 range?

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I found a Keurig at the tire shop the other day when I was getting a new set. Not one clue how it operated. It was like asking Orville Wright to send a tweet.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

This is the larger of the sizes they make, and the most classically styled. Will last forever if you don't drop it. Easily replaceable carafe if you do.

www.amazon.com/Bodum-1928-16US6-Chambord-Coffee-Press/dp/B00005LM0S

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I have no issue with what kind of coffee I got out of the old Mr. Coffee percolator I had. But I love being able to make a fresh cup at a time with the Keurig. It's cut down on my overall intake. I used to drink a pot a day out of habit just because it was there. Now I'm down to about 18 ounces (two large cups) a day.

12. Clambake Clem

Clambake Clem Member

thanks az

Draft saved Draft deleted