1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Keurig coffeemakers - Worth the $$$$?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Dec 6, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's taken a while, but I keep finding more & more common ground with Azrael.

2. Clambake Clem

Clambake Clem Member

FYI: I bought my wife a Keurig two Christmases ago and she loves it. Still uses it multiple times every day. One thing, if you are looking for a good cup of hot chocolate to warm you up make sure to avoid any and all Kuerig hot chocolates like the plague. Terrible.

3. Clambake Clem

Clambake Clem Member

\"People let me tell ya bout my beeest friend...\"

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Coffee thread? Common grounds.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

run the Keurig once absent tea and coffee into your tea cup, let the cup get warm, spill out the water and brew a cup of tea.

I've made lots of tea with the Keurig, too. Both loose and bag. pack the loose tea into the K-Cup filter like you would coffee.

6. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I forgot about the tea and hot chocolate you can brew with it. My wife loves tea, and we go through a ton of hot chocolate from pretty much October through March.

That seals it. I'll get her that and the filter insert thing. The same model is actually a few bucks cheaper on the Keurig site, with free shipping and a free dozen assorted K-cup flavors.

It's $150 for a coffeemaker, which is a lot, but it will definitely get used, and I've blown more money on more frivilous things in the last year, so what the heck.

7. YankeeFan

I haven't tried it, but my two employees love the hot chocolate out of the Keurig.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

get it at bed bath and beyond with their 20% off coupon

9. Clambake Clem

Clambake Clem Member

Or at Kohls. They have 20 percent off coupons all over the place and carry at least 5 different Kuerig models, including the more inexpensive $109 model (which works great).

10. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Not to thread-jack (I'm not a k-cup fan) but what're some recommendations on grinders? I should add one to my Christmas list. I've got a cheapo little blade grinder now, which does the job in an 'anything is better than pre-ground coffee' way, but I'm told I don't know what I'm missing as far as the quality I could get with a better one.

11. YankeeFan

I'll be honest, I barely know anything about home equipment/machines as I really only deal with commercial equipment.

The fact that I have a Keurig is sort of fluke. I ended up getting it for free.

But, I do trust these folks to do a good job picking the equipment they sell:

http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/products/merch#brewing-grinders

This one is only $100.00: http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/product/merchandise/capresso-infinity-grinder

For $199.00, you can get the grinder, a chemex, an electric kettle, ans some coffee:

http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/product/merchandise/basic-brew-box

12. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

The box set looks amazing.

My only hesitation is a fear I'd break the glass pot.

Draft saved Draft deleted