1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Keurig coffeemakers - Worth the $$$$?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Yeah this thing.
    All though they can clog when trying to fill the mug.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

We have a Keurig in the office. I like my coffee strong and I can't seem to get a strong cup of coffee out of it, no matter what variety I try.

It's good to have in the office, though. We used to have a coffee pot. Our office manager would come in at 7:00 a.m. and brew a pot that sat there all day. I'm an afternoon coffee drinker so when I'd go into the kitchen to get a cup, it had been sitting there for 8 or 9 hours. Blech.

At home I have a French press and an old and thus far very reliable Braun coffeemaker. I enjoy the coffee from both of those much more than the coffee from the Keurig.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What everyone has said so far is true.

The Keurig is great for what it is. It's super convenient, but the price per cup is not cheap.

My biggest question would be, what does she get for $4.00 at the coffee shop? If she gets drip coffee, the Keurig can replace her current cup.Even Starbucks is now making k-cups.

But, if she gets a fancy drink with steamed milk -- a latte, cappuccino, or some kind of caramel macchiato -- the Keurig might not satisfy her.

The Keurig cannot steam milk, so it cannon recreate those drinks.

Would hate to see you buy a nice gift for her, and then she doesn't end up using it.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Absolutely worth it.
    Big time coffee drinker and I have a nice grind and brew for the weekends, French press when I want, but I use the Keurig every morning. It automatically comes on in the morning and I make a to-go cup for the morning commute. Before Keurig I would stop and buy coffee every morning, 7-11, Royal Farm, Highs, Starbuck or the local coffee place, but about $2.00 every work day. It's paid for itself.

I also hunt coupons for K-Cups, buy them in bulk at Bed Bath... with the coupons, Target's cheaper than the grocery store.

5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I was hoping you'd chime in here. Thanks.

She typically gets a mocha or latte drink when she goes to a Starbucks-type place, but I think if she could have a decent cup of coffee with minimal effort in the morning, that would satisfy her completely. I think once she makes the effort to go to a Starbucks, she figures she may as well get something more than a usual cup of coffee. If that makes sense.

I know she likes to drink coffee in the morning and has dropped hints about getting a new coffee maker, but getting the best cup she's ever had is not the priority. It's being able to brew a decent cup without making a full pot, as she's getting up, showering, getting ready for work, getting the kids out the door to school and getting on the road for work. If she can drop a pod in there, pour water in it, hit a button and come back to a cup of fresh coffee in 20 minutes (or however long it takes), that would be perfect.

We've had the cheaper "one cup at a time" pots in the past and they typically crap out within a year or so. That's why I was looking for something more substantial and quality, like I've heard about the Keurig.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Ours takes about 30 seconds.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying. Once you've made the trip to Starbucks, you're sort of drawn in by the fancy drinks.

But, some people who like the fancy drinks, don't really like coffee. It's a delivery system for caffeine and sugar.

As long as your wife really likes coffee, and would drink it, I'd recommend it.

I set one up in the hall way of my building for the neighbors to use. People love it.

With Starbucks & Dunkin' Donuts now making k-cups, there's a lot of options.

You can also but k-cups for hot chocolate, tea, chai tea, etc.

I leave mine on all the time, and it's plumbed, so I don't have to refill a reservoir. Makes it super easy. And, it makes a cup of coffee in just a few seconds once it's at temperature.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I haven't been in a Highs in years. My dad used to take me there for ice cream - I thought they were all gone.

What kind of grind and brew do you have? I have one Cuisinart that lasted for years before acting up. Several replacements have gone bad in months so I gave up.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Agree. It's a low tech system that brings out the best in the coffee.

I don't drink a lot of coffee at home--usually on weekends--and the french press is perfect.

Buy my beans from this place

http://www.birdsandbeans.ca/index.html

As with everything else, if you buy crappy coffee, the most expensive coffee maker in the world ain't gonna improve the taste.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

My mother-in-law got us a Keurig when we had our baby. She said we'd need the caffeine. I like it because I'm not a huge coffee drinker, but when I drink it I want it to be convenient and I don't want to pay $3-5 a cup. Done and done.

I'm expecting to get one of those things to make your own K-cup and package of Tim Horton's coffee for Christmas. I'm looking forward to that.

11. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Any fans of Peet's on here? It's my favorite among the chains. I'm wondering if they make little k-cups too. That would sell me on it.

12. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Anything that makes a great cup of coffee would be worth the investment for a true coffee drinker. So if your wife really enjoys her coffee at home, I would say go for it. I know a few people at work who will not ever drink coffee they have made at home. Buying the coffee on their way to work is just part of their routine and they like it that way. I prefer to have my coffee at home. That is part of my routine. Just think about what is going to work best for your wife. If she really prefers to have it on her way to work, or to enjoy once she gets there, you might be better off putting that money into a gift card at her favorite coffee store.

I will say that the French press coffee made from freshly ground beans does make the most amazing cup of coffee.

Draft saved Draft deleted