1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Keto

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Sep 26, 2018.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

My office building has 10 floors, and some people do the 9 at 9 every Wednesday. They walk from the bottom to the top via the stairs (They don’t count the very top floor, which is restricted.) Anyway, I got on the stairclimber at the gym this week for the first time. Decided to mimic the 9 at 9. Roughly 200 steps. That was brutal. Fuck the stairclimber. Evil machine.

Moddy inspired me, too. I don’t weigh myself regularly, but I’m down roughly 15 lbs in just short of 3 weeks. Had no idea you could still eat good shit on Keto. I miss cake and beer, but that’s about it. Thank god for bourbon.

Pilot and Moderator1 like this.
  2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Two days ago I pulled out all my 32 waist jeans, just to see if I could fit into them. Damned if six of them didn't fit, with just two being a little snug. The 32 waist 501s were a no go, but I'll be back in those soon, too. I think my goal weight is going to be 165, which is 7 or 8 pounds away. That would give me 40 pounds lost and put me back to the weight I was just out of college, gulp, 29 years ago.

I miss cookies and beer. I've had, maybe, 12 beers since starting, but never more than three in a day. No cookies. To paraphrase @JackReacher, thank god for Scotch.

My wife hit a little lull, but on the whole she continues to lose weight. With her pretty high-profile job, she's had to buy new clothes about every 10 pounds she's lost. Plus she's able to get into clothes she hasn't worn in a good five years. She's wearing a tailored skirt today that fit when we got married seven years ago — but not much since then.

Although it hasn't translated (yet!) into more sex, we look a hell of a lot sexier when we do lock the door while the kids are asleep.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Pilot likes this.
  3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

As far as carb-friendly snacks go, I'm 100 percent addicted to the Blue Diamond salt and vinegar almonds. So damn good.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Nope, I just got the fuck out of journalism. ;)

Down 7 pounds in 4 days and already in ketosis, thanks to 4 consecutive days of riding 45 minutes.

I've probably taken 500 spin classes over the past 20 years or so but the Peloton ones are by far the best. The bike is silent and the tech is really next-level -- especially for people like me who are ultra competitive. But really, it's the instructors who make it all work, because they are obviously well-trained by the company, so there is a consistency between each class, and yet each one has their own flare, as well as playlist.

Moderator1 likes this.
  5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I went to a family function in Durham last month and stayed with my nephew. He and his wife are finally empty-nesters and having a blast. They put some of their "don't need tuition money anymore" cash into Hurricanes season tickets (worked out pretty well) and a Peloton, which they set up in one of the empty bedrooms. Kicking myself for not trying it out while I was there. Mixing some running into my walking now but I'd like something I could do inside as well.

Getting back into those clothes you grew out of is indeed a great reward and incentive.

Agree on the almonds though I go with the regular. The vinegar taste is not one I enjoy as much.

I've tried three low-carb beers: Michelob Ultra (basically water), Dogfish Head Slightly Mighty (pretty good) and Corona Premiere (the winner). It has a lower carb count than the other two and tastes very close to the real thing.

Tequila? NO carbs.

6. TigerVols

7. JackReacher

I've only allowed myself one beer in the last 2+ weeks, and that was during happy hour at the beach. Had to.

The low-carb beers are 2.6g, and Miller Lite is like 3.2g. So I went with my usual. The thing that hurts is steering clear of the craft beers, the IPAs, the Brown Ales, etc. Miss those dearly, but I'm wearing clothes I haven't worn in years. And it hasn't even been three weeks yet.

Also, just watched the Netflix doc on Keto. I think it's called Magic Pill? Something like that. Pretty good.

8. JackReacher

It'll be three weeks Monday since I started this thing. Down 20. Just typing that is crazy.

On top of that, we're saving cash by not eating out nearly as much. We plan, plan, plan, and it's helped a ton. Grocery bill has remained about the same. We're just buying different things.

This is crazy.

TigerVols and Moderator1 like this.
  9. TigerVols

This thread inspired me to avoid taking even one bite of my wife’s French toast this morning. TY!

Vombatus likes this.
  10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Probably not. I don't think I am. But I'm losing weight and feel better than I have in years and my doctor says go go go. So I will. I went very low carb at first to get the thing jump started. I'm at about 25-30 grams of carbs per day now and my body is, um, regular again after a period where it wasn't.

I can't think of a popular diet in my lifetime that didn't have its share of advocates and its share of detractors. Keto is no different. For all I know, I'm slowly killing myself now. But I was rapidly killing myself the other way so I'll take this route.

Thanks for the link, though. Some good info in there. I had no idea of the whole epilepsy thing.

JackReacher likes this.
  12. JackReacher

This feels unlike any other diet I've ever tried, or heard of. Almost a month in, and I love it. Went to lunch today with co-workers and had no trouble finding something that fit into it: bacon cheeseburger (no bun, of course) and asparagus. It was damn good.

I had a couple beers this weekend and felt little to no difference. Whether or not I'm in ketosis matters not at all to me. I know I feel better, look better, and my clothes fit better. This shit works without sacrificing all that much.

I'll stay under 20g net carbs until I reach my goal weight (which I haven't even set yet). And then, I'll do like Moddy. Slowly increase and experiment to see how my body reacts to certain things and adjust as necessary. I'll have plenty of room to play with and a sure-fire method to lose a few every now and then if necessary.

Can't recommend it enough.

Draft saved Draft deleted