1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Keto

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Cooked like asparagus or beans, they suck.

2. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

Oh VERY important to cut them in half. Also love when you get some stray leaves that fall into the bottom of the pan and get all blackened and crispy.

YankeeFan and Vombatus like this.
  3. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

I believe this. I’ve seen those steamer bags of Brussels sprouts like you see for peas, corn, etc. Does not sound appetizing in the least.

4. Vombatus

To me, that’s the real problem and major turn off. If that’s your first experience (and to me it was, at the Hopkins fucking cafeteria, run by ARA, who served the Brussels Sprouts right next to the Pinto Bean Loaf), anyway, you are very, very likely to say no fucking way am I eating that ever again. EVER.

Plus, I don’t like the smell of them prepared that way either - it’s a bit like little rotten cabbages. Fuck that.

But prepared like you described, making them crunchy, holy hell, they are very good.

You just have to open your mind and block out any prior experiences and be willing to try something new, as if you were in a bedroom...

... with pastrami.

Had to throw a little VB in there in what was a semi-intelligent discussion up to that point.

ChrisLong likes this.
  5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Actually, you don't. We were fine without you bringing the bedroom into it. Try to keep your mind off your johnson when you post, we all thank you

I've had Brussels (not Brussel, there is an s on the end) sprouts many different ways and hated them all. My daughter-in-law tried to cut some up small and bury them in my favorite pasta salad. Didn't work. Just not my thing, at all.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I eat Brussels sprouts (sorry about that s, Moddy!) steamed or boiled, but I like them most roasted. I like the taste, but roasted, I really like the texture, too. I wouldn't buy them in a bag. Just fresh. We cook them lots of ways. The simple olive oil / roast thing is something we do a lot of this time of year. Having a tupperware in the fridge with them is awesome.

Unrelated, and probably not funny unless you know her (and likely not funny if you do), but Ms. Ragu's first language is French, and she can never remember they are called Brussels sprouts. While she is struggling to come up with "Brussels sprouts," I sometimes I do a stupid accented female voice (that really sounds nothing like her), and say, "You know, those little Belgian cabbages." We actually eat enough Brussels sprouts that we have our own inside jokes related to them.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Moderator1

You're forgiven! You'd think as much as I hate them, I wouldn't care how people spelled it. But, alas

Also, you worry me.

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I think I shared this previously. First time I met my future in-laws, they served Brussels sprouts. I was trying to make a good impression. No dog around to ditch them to. I had to eat them. Roasted, seasoned. Delish.

Vombatus likes this.
  9. Vombatus

Actually, I was setting up a Seinfeld reference with the pastrami. I don’t think about the other thing much at all.

Cosmo likes this.
  10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

So how goes the Keto diet, Moddy?

My wife an I have decided to start eating the Keto way. We bought books and one of those quick pressure cooker things, and we're starting next week. It's not really a New Year's resolution, just an acknowledgement that we're too damn heavy and it's time to get that shit in order before we get older than we already are. At 5'10" and a bit over 2 bills, that's just too much weight on my frame. Figure my fighting weight is somewhere in the 165-170 range, which is where I was for years and years — until my sedentary lifestyle and bad eating habits (chips, sweets) got the better of me.

From reading about it, the Keto plan has a lot of foods we like anyway, like fish and seafood, so it looks like it won't be as hard as other plans might be. At least I hope so. As it always is, the follow through will be key.

I'll update periodically to toot my own horn — or get shamed into getting back at it.

11. Moderator1

Started Oct. 1 - got on the scale Monday and was down 38 pounds. I go back to the doctor tomorrow and I'd give a testicle if I'm two pounds lighter tomorrow because I'd love to walk in and say FORTY POUNDS! I got a vibe when she told me to get my shit together that she wasn't at all convinced I could do it. Can't blame her.

I'd love a bowl of pasta or some ice cream but it isn't all that bad. Just had lunch with three friends. Non-breaded wings and it was plenty. Will have leftover chicken from yesterday tonight, with Wasabi mayo and two slices of cheddar subbing for bread. Plus a couple of Trader Joe's pickles. No calories, no carbs.

Easy to follow because you just eat the foods on the list and doesn't worry about points or portion sizes or anything.

I haven't been this light in years and haven't been under 2 bills in, well, MANY years. Now I think I'll get there late next month.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I need to take off about twenty pounds. My front porch has gotten rather firmly attached. I'm not going full bore on any particular diet. Higher prot and fresh veggies, less carbs - and lord do I love my bread and pasta. Exercise. Eat smaller portions.

Most of that isn't a huge change. Don't eat desserts or fast foods or drink sodas. That should do it. The biggest trick, as everyone says above, is to make the change in habits and lifestyle.

It's that or the knife diet - fix and eat what you usually do, except that when you serve your plate take a knife and scrape half of each portion back in the pan.

Draft saved Draft deleted