1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ketchikan, Alaska

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Charlie_Hustle, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Charlie_Hustle

Charlie_Hustle New Member

From jjobs... We've seen this one a few times before ...

Company: Ketchikan Daily News
    Position: Sports reporter/editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: May 19, 2011
    Job ID: 1248267

Description:

Sports reporter/editor in one-person department of family-owned
    newspaper. Cover high school, middle school and community basketball,
    baseball, football, soccer, volleyball, wrestling, cross country,
    track etc. in a small community with an outdoors lifestyle in the
    Tongass National Forest. Lay out sports pages. Journalism degree or
    sports reporting experience required. Benefits: paid vacation, profit
    sharing, 401k, paid holidays, medical and dental insurance, sick
    leave. Send resume, clips and cover letter to: Tena Williams, Co-
    Publisher, Ketchikan Daily News, P.O. Box 7900, Ketchikan, Alaska,
    99901. tena@ketchikandailynews.com.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I interviewed for this gig while in college and was really intrigued. Just seemed like a heck of an adventure. Alas, they didn't fly people out for visits and I didn't feel adventurous enough to move to a city sight unseen. Nor was paying my own way for a visit from the southeast to Alaska much of an option. But every time this ad comes up, I wonder what that job would have been like.

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Pretty sure I stopped there one time during a cruise from Vancouver. Beautiful area with very tasty reindeer jerky.

4. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Knew a couple of folks who worked there. If you're looking to cut your teeth and get some reporting experience under your belt, it's not bad. You just have to accept that it's not easily accessible (as in remote, as in you won't leave this town of 8,000 people much), rains a lot (amend that: all the time) and you'll be a one-man band.

You can find some great stories, kick some ass and move on to something more living-wagey.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It must be a rite of passage to get a phone interview here. I had mine a few years ago. Pay was around $26,000 and they don't help with moving.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You can probably get away with not having a car since there is only about 10 miles of road there. I figure it's the kind of job you do for one school year. I think you would definitely want to talk with someone who has been there to know what it is like and what to expect. I think one of the Girls Next Door used to live there, and I'm sure there are other resources on the Web to get an idea of what the place is like.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I echo what the others have said. Decent place to get real world hands-on experience. Isolated as hell, so thank God for the internet. Nice place to visit; not sure if I could live there without going stir crazy.

One of those places where you either: (1) put in your 1-2 years, get experience and leave or (2) fall in love with the place and stay the rest of your life.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

And I believe there is a company car for reporters to use. Not completely sure about that though. Thought I saw that in an ad posting for this place once.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The climate is Seattle on steroids.

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?akketc

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Does Alaska still pay the pipeline dividends (or whatever they're called)? Assuming you stayed more than a year, wouldn't you get that in addition to the 26k?

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Think so, but Alaska is expensive. I would think they would have to ship everything in via boat to Ketchikan. When I visited Alaska three years ago even gas was more expensive because it was refined somewhere else.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The dividend is $1,281 per resident this year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Permanent_Fund

Draft saved Draft deleted