1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kerry Wood -- Greatest what-if ever?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Unibomber, Jul 8, 2006.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

After 85-87, I think Doc Gooden needs to be mentioned.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

More like just 84-85, and yes. End of thread.

From the guy who would challenge Cy Young's 511 victories to someone who retired short of 200 wins and is in jail while contemporary Roger Clemens pursues 350 wins.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And FWIW, Doctor K (that's Gooden, not Wood!) broke Herb Score's rookie strikeout record some 30 years later.

4. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

technically, if you think about it, you could put Mike Tyson on this list.

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I don't know. I think we saw Tyson's peak and his career ran its normal course. Once Buster stripped away the veneer of invincibility, all of Tyson's weaknesses were exposed and fighters stopped fearing him because they knew if they could survive the initial barrage, they had a very good chance of winning. I don't feel cheated by Tyson the same way I feel cheated about Gooden and Bo.

6. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Very valid Pope. A few other thoughts - 1.) What if Mike didn't give in and trust the group of people that surrounded him following Cus D'Amato's death? 2.) What if he actually ever learned how to box instead of just throw bombs? 3.) What if he kept on the straight and narrow and didn't rape the woman (thus spending time in prison)? 4.) What if he didn't bite Holyfield's ear and tried to keep fighting in their rematch?

Just a thought.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I'll give my vote to Bo. To be an All-Star in two different sports within six months of each other is unbelievable. He was just hitting his prime when his hip was wrecked. I was devastated seeing him limp off the field after the game getting interviewed.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Re: Kerry Wood -- Greates what-if ever?

That was pure hype. He was supposedly about 20 entering Mizzou, and he was way too small and liked to party way too much. Of course the injuries didn't help, but he wasn't the real deal.

9. Dignan

Dignan Guest

This also could have gone on the youtube thread, but whatever.

Still the filthiest, nastiest, most dominating performance in baseball history: 20 Ks, 0 walks and 1 hit allowed (a weak squibber to third that should have been ruled an error) in his fifth major-league start.

Check out the bite on that curveball to Derek Bell for strikeout No. 20. No wonder he had arm problems.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Bobby Tolan would be up there. The fastest player in baseball, a star in the making, until he tore his Achilles' tendon, back when that all but ended careers.

11. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Grant Hill and Penny Hardaway are good candidates. And there is another player that played in the NFL that won rookie of the year and than messed up his knee while playing in a pro bowl sand box game. Can't remember his name.....

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'm proud to say I watched this game live, and have the VHS tape to prove it. Agree on the non-error call. Fuckabuncha Kevin Orie. :mad:

Draft saved Draft deleted