1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kerry Wood -- Greatest what-if ever?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Unibomber, Jul 8, 2006.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Re: Kerry Wood -- Greates what-if ever?

Tony Van Zandt, savior of Woody's Wagon.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

What if Bo didn't split time between the Raiders and Royals, deciding to play one sport? He might have been the most dominant player in either sport.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

What about the Dan vs. Dave decathlon thing?

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

You have to wonder about Len Bias. Maybe he doesn't belong on this list, but his was certainly a story never told.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

But like Bo Jackson, we saw him Spnited saw him at his peak, though. Dean's injury wasn't until 1937, and he already had eight years in the big leagues by then. We were denied the opportunity to see Dean's career wind down, but as far as an all-time what-if, I respectfully disagree. Plus, Dean made the Hall of Fame (a travesty of sorts in its own right -- no one's denying Dean's talent, but for a 150-game winner, c'mon? Too bad Frisch was busy getting all his old buddies inducted at that time.)

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Good work Buck...I'll supply the name, you provide the stats etc.  ;D

No doubt in my mind Score is the greatest what-if because he was so overpowering so young and his career was so emphatically cut short.

After watching Bo destroy the Yankees for a three-game series one summer I was convinced if he ever decided to just play baseball and really learn how to hit, he'd be the first 50 HR-50 SB guy.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Barry Bonds - what if growth hormones never existed.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Think back to the Raiders-Seahawks Monday Night Game. He rushed for 221 yards and two touchdowns in one of the most dominant displays ever. How great would he have been if he just played football?

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Okay, how about Gale Sayers then?

10. The thing about what makes it so tragic (and him so endearing) is that Wood's always chomping at the bit and willing to put in the work to come back again and again. I know obviously there's a lot of money at stake, but I have covered him (with the Cubs) and he's really a standup guy.

Prior, by contrast, I don't think is tragic yet. He's never had an arm surgery although that liner to the elbow was a close call. Plus, substantiated or not, there's a feeling and there are whispers that, in contrast to Wood, he's soft. I mean, a flu in, what, January pushes back his conditioning so that he has to miss the first half of the season?

11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Doubt he'd be No. 1, but Pete Reiser.

Joe Delaney another possible.

12. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

And this is why Bo has to be on the short list, because of the high level he was performing in BOTH sports when he got hurt. MVP of the All-Star Game in July, then a Pro Bowler in January. He might have had untold achievements had he stayed healthy.

Draft saved Draft deleted